Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 28.03.24 at 20:31 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « A new parody lyric »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Words
(Moderator: Mike Walters)
   A new parody lyric
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: A new parody lyric  (Read 1591 times)
S J Birkill
MV Administrator

just a sensible reserve

A new parody lyric
« : 30.03.22 at 07:34 »

Remember those? It's been ages since a new one came along, but today this one clattered into my virtual in-tray. It's by MV member Al Neville, and it brings our collection of, ahem, alternative lyrics to Pete Atkin songs bang up to date.

It's called "Another Girl, Another Train", so you can probably figure out which lyric it parodies. Rather than attach it to Dave Jones's venerable "First Folly" page I decided to add it to the main Discography page. Then I saw there's already a Girl On The Train parody there, Roy Brown's timeless "Gargoyle On A Drain", which imagines the non-encounter from the girl's viewpoint. (The song was played by tribute band The Beautiful Changers at the Midnight Voices Garden Party in rural Derbyshire in July 1999).

No matter: dear reader, I squeezed it in. The sixth button column opposite Girl On The Train now holds two half-width smiley-text (parody lyric) icons. The first links to Roy's "Gargoyle", the second to Al's "Another Girl". Or, if you prefer a direct link to the new parody, just click HERE.

I've retained the page style (if you can call it that) of the older parodies for consistency, but one day soon I shall update all the old lyric and chord sheets to my new format, an example of which can be found HERE, a brand-new chord transcription of The Way You Are With Me which Pete sent at the request of a (non-MV) reader, a guitarist.

Returning to "Another Girl", the real innovation here is the ability to hear Al's own accomplished performance of his alternative lyric, on the page. Perhaps I should do this with all the parodies... though in most cases that would mean persuading the parodists to record their own renditions. Not easy, given the present dispersed state of the original MV regulars. Perhaps someone will volunteer to play them for us?

Steve

PS: in case you're wondering, this "Al" (if I can call him that) is the very same Alan Neville who played a guest spot at Richard Bleksley's "Pub of Dreams" MV gathering in south London (well, Surrey), back in 2004. Most recently, Al attended Pete's songwriters' workshop a couple of weeks ago in Wales.
« Last Edit: 30.03.22 at 08:07 by S J Birkill »     https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Words&action=display&num=1648622092&start=0#0   copy 

Stephen J Birkill
S J Birkill
MV Administrator

just a sensible reserve

Another new parody lyric
« Reply #1: 12.06.22 at 19:35 »

New member "Terry Caster" offers this topical take on "MOTR" :

Allow me to present myself, my ladies  
And gentlemen, of this revolted age  
Before Nadine takes the stage  
For I am the Master of the Revels  
In what appertains to smirks I am a sage  

I work my scams to death for each election  
And though the world is going to pieces all the while  
I prefer to smirk and smile  
For I am the Master of the Revels  
And mastery demands a certain style  

In my office hang the pictures  
Of those who went before  
With a range of policies, ideals and crimes  
For Rupert ten different kinds of favour  
For Carrie the colour of her eyes  

Some other windows darken in the evening  
And never before morning show a light  
But for us there is no night  
For they are the Masters of the Revels  
The callers-up and casters-in of devils  

And they are here for our destruction and delight
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Words&action=display&num=1648622092&start=1#1   copy 

Stephen J Birkill
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.