Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM    RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 27.04.17 at 12:01 UK
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Living with leukaemia -The Guardian »
   Midnight Voices
   Not Pete Atkin
   Off-topic
(Moderator: S J Birkill)
   Living with leukaemia -The Guardian
« No thread | Next thread »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Living with leukaemia -The Guardian  (Read 29028 times)
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Re:  Living with leukaemia -The Guardian
« Reply #80: 25.03.17 at 10:52 »

Clive James: ‘Coogan and Brydon are the funniest couple since Laurel and Hardy’

The extras do uncanny impersonations of corpses, and sometimes can’t keep it up

Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon. Photograph: Trip Films Ltd  

Quote:
Anyone who relishes what happens when Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon sit opposite each other in a restaurant will know that the real focus of the entertainment is on the actors at the other tables who are pretending not to laugh. While Coogan and Brydon do uncanny impersonations of 007, the extras have to do uncanny impersonations of corpses, and sometimes they can’t keep it up. They crack a rib. And they are, of course, quite right. Coogan and Brydon are the funniest couple since Laurel and Hardy.
And it’s all done just by evoking stuff we’ve seen already. But there’s no “just” about it. Such accurate mimicry demands deep concentration. The basic shtick of their echolalic duel to the death depends on Coogan being even more fanatical about getting it right than Brydon is. Indeed, Coogan might not entirely....  

read on

Kevin Cryan
IP logged
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #81: 01.04.17 at 10:05 »

Clive James: ‘Helen Hunt! Holy smoke, what an artist!’  

I long for the days when Jack Nicholson could deliver a speech without flashing his ivory like a leopard set to charge

Helen Hunt and Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets. Photograph: Tristar/Grac/REX/Shutterstock  

Quote:
Some tenured academic blockhead in America has written a book proving that poetry is over. One glance at his prose is enough to prove that, for him, poetry never started. But poetry can only gain from not being treated as a matter of vital cultural importance. It’s much more important than that. It happens that I regard my own forthcoming poetry book, to be published in May under the title of Injury Time, as being nifty in all respects, but I wouldn’t want to stake my life on the critics agreeing with me. One of them might be that dork in America.

I’ve only just now got back from a clinic where the chief medico iced the back of my skull preparatory to cutting out a seborrhoeic keratosis, a name that reminds me of a central European ice-hockey player with a collection of Thelonious Monk records. From such musings, I derived the only entertainment I needed during the whole 20 minutes, a period of time experienced in the benumbed interior of my head as a California redwood being chopped down nearby with a blunt axe. But if the ghost of TS Eliot had arrived to recite The Waste Land, I would have been no better off. There is a time and place for intense art, but you have to be ready.

Last night, I was ready for Helen Hunt's wonderful performance.....

read on

Kevin Cryan

IP logged
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #82: 08.04.17 at 08:58 »

Clive James: ‘Let me tell you about my other career as a spy’  

Mine were the intelligence reports on Britain that every Australian prime minister read first

Theresa May: ‘Don’t be fooled by the condescending smile.’ Photograph: Victoria Jones/PA

Quote:
Apart from the occasional homicidal maniac, the people who write in to make comments about what I have written in this column couldn’t be nicer. But if I answered even a small fraction of them, I would soon be dead from the effort, so I am obliged to work on the principle that, whatever the comment, the next few columns are my answer. Some people write in to ask me, “Why so much about television?” Well, if the next few columns are about something else, that’s my answer.

If I were to give a specific answer, it would have to be something about how I once earned my living as a couch potato and that the habit of watching dies hard. There wouldn’t be room to say much about my other career as a spy. Disguised as a literary critic (irascible expression, leather patches on elbows of sports jacket), I was parachuted into Britain by Asio, the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation, with orders to keep track of Britain’s moves to join the common market. Now, half a century later, my reports …...

read on

Kevin Cryan
IP logged
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #83: 15.04.17 at 11:03 »

Clive James: ‘I am planning for a future in which I appear only as a shimmering outline’  

I am likely to proclaim that Margaret Thatcher once looked at me in silent awe

‘Margaret Thatcher asked me whether I had enjoyed the shamisen prodigy in Shanghai.’ Photograph: PA  

Quote:
As movies multiply in the Universal Soldier franchise, you might have noticed that Jean-Claude Van Damme is still in them, but looks ghostly. That is because he is present only as a hologram. Feeling a bit that way myself lately, I am making plans for a media future in which I appear only as a shimmering outline. There is a place you can go where you can have it done.

The results tend to look spooky, but there is no reason you should not emerge from the operating theatre talking as clearly as Ken Livingstone. You might have noticed from recent TV appearances that Ken is looking a bit crumbly around the edges, but his opinions sound as crisp as ever. The drawback of the technology, however, is that the opinions tend to be propagated automatically at exactly the wrong time.
The Ken hologram is currently on air night after ......

read on

Kevin Cryan
IP logged
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #84: 22.04.17 at 09:41 »

Clive James: ‘I regret not calling my book Nail-Biting Slug-Fest On The Last Green’

I’m chortling to have got my book done before I roll over and gasp my last  

Justin Rose and Sergio García after the 2017 Masters play-off. Photograph: Rex/Shutterstock  

Quote:
I’m still recovering from having watched the shootout between Justin Rose and Sergio García in the Masters. Through no fault of either man, Rose looks like the unusually staid manager of an English bank and García looks like the slightly bonkers getaway driver for a South American gang attempting to rob it.

That the attempt was successful is surely a side issue. What mattered was that the two men were so near being equal in their powers that the whole battle was fought out in the mind. Finally, after hours of screaming tension, the match went to a sudden death play-off which was all over in a few quiet minutes. García took the first extra hole with such ease that for a moment I regretted having called my poetry collection Injury Time instead of Nail-Biting Slug-Fest On The Last Green.

But that’s twice in a fortnight I’ve managed to....

read on

Kevin Cryan

IP logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « No thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.