Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 28.04.24 at 11:55 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « St George's Bristol - 21st June 2007 »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Gigs
(Moderator: Gerry Smith)
   St George's Bristol - 21st June 2007
Pages: 1 2   Start of Thread | Latest Post Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: St George's Bristol - 21st June 2007  (Read 21267 times)
Ian Chippett
MV Fellow

In the clear at over fifty-five

Re: St George's Bristol - 21st June 2007
« Reply #20: 02.07.07 at 20:37 »

I wrote :

<<The complete Pete Atking gig list is available at Smash Flops if you want to check the date. >>

AAAAgh! Whatever next? I must have been thinking of Atking Cole...

Ian C
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1182606003&start=20#20   copy 
Cathy Corbishley-Michel
Ex-Member

« Reply #21: 02.07.07 at 20:38 »

Dear Rob

I also saw Pete in 1974 in Bristol ? the Locarno and my memory of who he supported has gone completely (I thought it might be Cockney Rebel but this is not supported by the Gig list)  but I bought the vinyl at Triange records and possess all but Live Libel (which I now have on CD).  I wrote the dates I bought the records on the back - all Spring 1974

I obtained a USB turntable for Christmas (I gave it to my husband so that I could use it - after 30 years that's the best way to give presents) and converted the old vinyl to MP3.  I now have it on the IPod (complete with a few scratches but pretty good sound quality).  I can also play them on the computers at home and work at will.

Is Triangle records still there (plus the bloke who used to look down his nose at me every time I bought a record as he obviously disapproved of my taste)?  Have now disposed of the Velvet Underground but kept the Joni Mitchell.

best wishes

Cathy
A Bristol exile now in London since 1983
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1182606003&start=21#21   copy 
Rob Hill
MV Fresher

« Reply #22: 02.07.07 at 21:07 »

Ian, wasn't that Atking Kong?

Cathy, I'm not up Park Street very often but I do think Triangle Records is no more. I'll check next time I'm passing.

Yes I still have a turntable and some software to grab and clean vinyl recordings. It works up to a point but doesn't always handle the quiet bits - it thinks that Thirty Year Man is two separate songs!  

Now that Ian mentions it I ought to have remembered that Man topped the bill since I used to follow those guys. Just a passing phase. Interesting that this far on I can remember Pete but not Man. It must have been around Live Libel time because I remember chuckling to Black Funk Rex and peeing myself at Ballad of an Upstairs Window. Not literally of course - otherwise, I'm sure you'd have remembered me ..... Smiley

Rob
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1182606003&start=22#22   copy 
Leslie Moss
MV Fixture

Marmite Soldier

« Reply #23: 03.07.07 at 12:03 »

on 02.07.07 at 21:07, Rob Hill wrote:

Yes I still have a turntable and some software to grab and clean vinyl recordings. It works up to a point but doesn't always handle the quiet bits - it thinks that Thirty Year Man is two separate songs!  

I'm considering doing the vinyl-to-cd conversion myself. Does anyone have any comments on the advantages of a USB turntable (which presumably has a pre-amp built in) over a simple connection from the hifi amplifier output?

Quote:

It must have been around Live Libel time because I remember chuckling to Black Funk Rex and peeing myself at Ballad of an Upstairs Window. Not literally of course - otherwise, I'm sure you'd have remembered me ..... Smiley

Rob

I must admit to never being a Live Libel fan, but I recall Pete performing Ballad and Errant Knight for several years at live gigs before the album came out and both were highlights of his set, especially as light relief from the more serious songs. I'd like to see him perform both more often although I guess the jokes wear thin if the audience is 90% afficionados.

Leslie
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1182606003&start=23#23   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #24: 03.07.07 at 13:07 »

on 03.07.07 at 12:03, Leslie Moss wrote:

I'm considering doing the vinyl-to-cd conversion myself. Does anyone have any comments on the advantages of a USB turntable (which presumably has a pre-amp built in) over a simple connection from the hifi amplifier output?

Leslie

Leslie,

The advantage, I'm told,  of using a USB turntable is that it's incredibly easy to set up and it eliminates the  need for trailing wires or lugging computers into the front room (unless you have a laptop). However, if you've got only a small collection of  music on vinyl, it will be difficult to justify expense, which. I believe, is about £100 at the moment.  

If you are going to follow the conventional route, and are willing to put up with the "lugging and trailing", I suggest you read the very clear guide Jonathan Parkyn wrote for the September the 12th  2006 edition of  Computer Active. It explains in readable detail  how you should  go about converting vinyl to CD and MP3 formats. It's The article, like all Computer Active articles,  is intended for people who, like me, have precious little technical savvy, and as such it works.

Kevin Cryan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1182606003&start=24#24   copy 
Bogus Trumper
MV Fellow

You alone will be my last adventure

« Reply #25: 03.07.07 at 14:31 »

For me the choice is simple - USB or nothing.  Apart from the ease of use, I seem to have lost my old (very) turntable somewhere!

Now all I need to do is dig through 12 years and 4 continents of dertritus to find the albums..........
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1182606003&start=25#25   copy 

And so goodbye, my lady of a night
Pages: 1 2    Start of Thread | Latest Post Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.