Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 20.04.24 at 03:49 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « OU podcasts & Clive »
   Midnight Voices
   Not Pete Atkin
   Off-topic
(Moderator: S J Birkill)
   OU podcasts & Clive
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: OU podcasts & Clive  (Read 4757 times)
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

OU podcasts & Clive
« : 10.07.07 at 21:17 »

I should not have thought that this Open University bulletin would displease Clive too much.

10 Jul 2007

Philosophy Podcast storms the download charts

What do Chris Evans, Danny Baker, Clive James and The Prime Minister have in common?  

All have podcasts in the Top 20 downloads on Itunes but none is as popular as senior OU Philosophy Lecturer, Dr Nigel Warburton, reading from his book Philosophy: The Classics.

Dr Warburton’s readings are currently 14th in the Top 20 and have more downloads than The Best Bits of Chris Evans; Danny Baker’s All Day Breakfast Show and even, Prime Minister’s Questions!

Philosophy: The Classics is an introduction to 27 key works in the history of Philosophy beginning with Plato and Aristotle and including the work of Machiavelli, Hobbes and Locke.

The free downloads began in May and will continue until all 27 parts are available.  

Nigel Warburton says: "I’ve been recording these at home on simple equipment and have been amazed at how many people are downloading them –thousands a day. There seems to be a real hunger for philosophy out there and I’ m delighted to be feeding it.

"For people with long journeys to work this is the perfect medium. I’ve had appreciative emails from as far away as Brisbane. No radio station could give me this sort of coverage".

Nigel has written Philosophy course materials for the Open University at first, second and third level. He also chairs the University's highly successful Start Writing programme of short online courses on different aspects of writing. He is currently writing units on plagiarism and the ethics of copyright for a new Open University online course on Ethics.

Nigel also contributes to another free podcast called Philosophy Bites, where he and author David Edmonds interview top philosophers on a wide range of topics.

Nigel says: "For some reason Philosophy Bites is particularly popular in the USA where we’ve been in the iTunes top 100 for several weeks now".

The Open University offers many courses and qualifications on Philosophy ranging from the AXR271 Doing Philosophy residential school short course to Philosophy degrees and an MA in Philosophy.  

One reviewer wrote of the podcasts: "They capture the basics in a comprehensible way. It’s thought-provoking stuff".

Those people who are choosing to listen to the good Doctor's podcasts rather than to Clive's are, I should think, listening to kind of stuff of which Clive could not possibly disapprove. Anybody who willingly listens to this kind of stuff is, I would say, is more than likely making an an honest attempt to stave off cultural amnesia which Clive thinks may be creeping up on us all. That's a good reason for rejoicing, isn't it?  

Kevin Cryan

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1184098624&start=0#0   copy 
naomi
MV Fixture

I love Midnight Voices!

Re: OU podcasts & Clive
« Reply #1: 10.07.07 at 21:41 »

It sure is Smiley - and I'm so antediluvian I don't really know what a podcast is.

Naomi
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1184098624&start=1#1   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #2: 11.07.07 at 07:01 »

on 10.07.07 at 21:41, naomi wrote:
..... I'm so antediluvian I don't really know what a podcast is.

Naomi

As every major medium, including The Times is podcasting at present, I feel sure that you have got lots of people close to hand who will willingly educate you into a postdiluvian state.  

If you are too timid to ask, then a dip into the Wikipedia entry on podcasting will, I suggest, help you get started.

Kevin Cryan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1184098624&start=2#2   copy 
Bogus Trumper
MV Fellow

You alone will be my last adventure

« Reply #3: 11.07.07 at 23:42 »

Don't worry Naomi - I don't have a pod either  Smiley
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1184098624&start=3#3   copy 

And so goodbye, my lady of a night
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #4: 12.07.07 at 10:18 »

Nor, as the TIMESONLINE helpful pop-up GUIDE TO PODCASTING tells you, do you need one. All you need is a PC which has a conncection, preferably broadband, and the ability to carry out the instructions given in a guide such as the Times one.

Kevin Cryan

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1184098624&start=4#4   copy 
naomi
MV Fixture

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #5: 13.07.07 at 20:42 »

"The ability to carry out the instructions given in a guide ..." you say, Mr Cryan.

In my case that's quite a tall order.  Undecided

In any event, I propose to stagger on without benefit of podcast - although I am delighted to hear that podcast aficionados are studying philosophy.  

Very many thanks to you and Bogus for the kind advice, however.

Naomi
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1184098624&start=5#5   copy 
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.