Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 29.03.24 at 12:46 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Antonia Quirke quotes from... Guess whom? »
   Midnight Voices
   Not Pete Atkin
   Off-topic
(Moderator: S J Birkill)
   Antonia Quirke quotes from... Guess whom?
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Antonia Quirke quotes from... Guess whom?  (Read 12055 times)
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Antonia Quirke quotes from... Guess whom?
« : 02.04.07 at 20:12 »

Has anyone spotted this before? I cannot recall it being mentioned, but then I may not have been attentive as I should have been. I'm talking about the fact that  Antonia Quirke’s* recently published book Madame Depardieu and the Beautiful Strangers the story of how a young film critic’s love-life is nearly ruined by her obsession with male movie stars, beginning with the quote from Beware of the Beautiful Stranger, "You live in a dream and the dream is a cage ..."  

You wonder why she did not choose a quotation from Screen Freak, given the theme of the book. A little too obvious, I suppose.

Kevin Cryan

*Antonia Quirke has written on film for The Independent on Sunday, and on actors for The New Statesman. She contributes to BBC Radio 4's weekly film programme Back Rowand presents documentaries for BBC television.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1175541172&start=0#0   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Re: Antonia Quirke quotes from... Guess whom?
« Reply #1: 29.06.13 at 16:32 »

on 02.04.07 at 20:12, Kevin Cryan wrote:
Has anyone spotted this before? I cannot recall it being mentioned, but then I may not have been attentive as I should have been. I'm talking about the fact that  Antonia Quirke’s* recently published book Madame Depardieu and the Beautiful Strangers the story of how a young film critic’s love-life is nearly ruined by her obsession with male movie stars, beginning with the quote from Beware of the Beautiful Stranger, "You live in a dream and the dream is a cage ..."  

...........Kevin Cryan

There has ben rumour circulating for some time that Nick Hornby has been developing a screenplay for Warner Brothers.

In her intorducing Quirke as a  guest on the Radio 4 programme A Good Read, presenter Harriett Gilbert metioned that there her novel Madame Depardieu and the Beautiful Strangers is being developed as a screenplay, but by whom she did not say. I took that fact the Quirke seemed to accept this as a fact as partial confimation that this was indeed might be the case.  

Now how about the theme theme song?

Kevin Cryan
« Last Edit: 29.06.13 at 16:51 by Kevin Cryan »     https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1175541172&start=1#1   copy 
Pete Atkin
MV Deity

Re: Antonia Quirke quotes from... Guess whom?
« Reply #2: 01.07.13 at 12:56 »

Quite apart from the author's clearly impeccable taste in music, this is a wonderful, original, funny book.  It's easy enough to imagine its storyline being adapted for the screen, but I imagine that the hardest aspect to adapt would be what for me are the best bits, namely her insights into individual actors and the whole business of acting.   If you haven't read it, do seek it out.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1175541172&start=2#2   copy 
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.