Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 14.08.20 at 15:00 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Help - National Steel »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Newsletter
(Moderator: Pete Atkin)
   Help - National Steel
« No thread | Next thread »
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Help - National Steel  (Read 499 times)
Colin_Wilkinson
MV Fresher

...he talked about Everton...

Help - National Steel
« : 02.05.20 at 17:18 »

Hi
I’m taking advantage of the advice in the monthly update from Pete – which is always great – “….send a message to Pete we suggest you post to the 'Newsletter' section of the 'Midnight Voices' Web Forum”…

I’m hoping for some help playing my favourite song ‘National Steel’.

I’m a long standing PA devotee and saw you at the long lost ‘Liverpool Stadium’ which was principally a boxing venue, the interweb tells me this was 10th Ausgust 1974, and I paid 44p for Greasy Bear/Pete/JSD Band. I only came for Pete. In my memory you played NS on your NS.

Anyway fast forward 40+ years and I have a guitar, bottleneck and a desire to play the tune. However I really only picked it up a couple of years ago and am still at the enthusiastic beginner stage.  
I’ve seen the chords : https://www.peteatkin.com/e4c.htm

I’ve also seen this which was written on this Forum in 2008 : “In fact, Clive's and my song is played with conventional tuning and conventional chords, with the bottleneck on my fourth finger playing either single-note phrases, or picked in sixths on the first and third or second and fourth strings, and sometimes major triads on the 2nd-3rd-and-4th strings or minor ones on the top three strings.”

So I’m fine with the tuning and conventional chords bit, even follow the siting of the bottleneck on the pinkie. However lost after that. I can pick some notes on the first string at frets 12, 5 and 3 which may be part of the puzzle but I’m stuck.  Is there a tab available or could I have some help? Even just the intro?

Onwards!

Colin
Pete Atkin
MV Deity

Re: Help - National Steel
« Reply #1: 05.05.20 at 11:35 »

Hello, Colin.  Thanks so much for that - not least for wanting to give it a go!

OK, so it may be best to take it a bit at a time --  

First off, you're going to have to play it by picking;  it won't work by strumming.

Put the slide across the top three strings, and slide it up to the fourth fret.  Play the third (G) string with your first finger, and the top string (E) with your third finger.   And add in the open bass E string with your thumb.   That gives you a chord of E major.   Now slide the bottleneck down two frets (to the second fret) and pick those same three strings as before.  That gives you a chord of D major over an E in the bass.

Now slide the bottleneck up to the second fret on the second (B) and fourth (D) strings, and play those two strings while playing the open fifth (A) string with your thumb.  That gives you a chord of A major.

That's probably enough for now - enough to play around with and to get used to.  You'll probably be able to figure out quite a bit for yourself from there.   Let me know how you get on, and I'll pitch in with something else.    It's all there for the taking!
Colin_Wilkinson
MV Fresher

...he talked about Everton...

Re: Help - National Steel
« Reply #2: 08.05.20 at 12:50 »

Cheers Pete

The sound I hear is those dead men trying to get out of my guitar!

Having fun with this. I can fumble  picking E, D/E and A as you describe, although that's the limit of my "figuring out" apart from my guess that the rhythm is 1and 2and 3and 4and?

Always open to offers of further help.

Best wishes

Colin

Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « No thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.