Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 28.03.24 at 22:44 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Guests........... »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Members
(Moderator: S J Birkill)
   Guests...........
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Guests...........  (Read 5784 times)
Paul Leighton
MV Friend

Mine's a Thatchers!

Guests...........
« : 22.03.10 at 14:51 »

Greetings all.

Just had a rather unexpected moment with our MV Forum! When I logged-on to
bring myself up-to-date I found there was nothing more recent than the exchanges I had previously read.  However....however.... Steve's remarkable web-site indicated that although I was the only member on-line, we had at that moment, approx 1345 today, 18 "guests".  Does anyone know what might have provoked that sudden rush of interest? I am intrigued.
Best
Paul
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=members&action=display&num=1269265871&start=0#0   copy 

Paul Leighton
S J Birkill
MV Administrator

just a sensible reserve

Re: Guests...........
« Reply #1: 22.03.10 at 15:37 »

Hello Paul

The highest number of 'Guests' I've ever seen reported was well over 100, just for a period of a half-hour or so. It might have been tempting to believe there'd been a surge of interest in Pete's music, inspired perhaps by a radio broadcast or an on-line news item, but I think the true explanation may be otherwise.

The Web, and the Internet in general, plays host to a great many automated crawlers or 'bots'. Some of these are benign, such as the ones which continuously trawl websites to index content for search engines. But in recent years these have been hugely outnumbered by malicious bots, software entities whose sole purpose is to seek out and exploit vulnerabilities in servers, websites and scripts.

On finding such a security hole, the bot will attempt to use it, perhaps to distribute spam via a response form, to install its own routines on the server for gathering email addresses, logins or financial information, or even to exploit secondary vulnerabilities in browsers accessing the site, as in a recent publicly reported issue elsewhere with Internet Explorer.

We did go through a phase a few years back when a rash of fake Forum registrations appeared, but I stopped them in their tracks by switching to manual email confirmation of membership, and later floored them at the first hurdle by asking a simple 'human' question at the point of registration. I'm sure these registration attempts were made by bots.  

It remains entirely feasible for an apparent conspiracy of bots to occur, when a large number alight on the same website for a short while, each attempting to find a way in, before moving on to bother some other hapless potential victim. This, I believe, may explain the occasional apparently random peaking of Guest numbers.

Steve

PS: On the other hand... given our large and loyal membership, and bearing in mind that many members will check the site for updates without actually logging in, might it not seem quite reasonable for as many as 18 of us to be around, around lunchtime on a Monday?

PPS: Must get that clock fixed!

SJB
« Last Edit: 22.03.10 at 15:50 by S J Birkill »     https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=members&action=display&num=1269265871&start=1#1   copy 

Stephen J Birkill
Paul Leighton
MV Friend

Mine's a Thatchers!

« Reply #2: 22.03.10 at 16:02 »

Aah.......! And, yes you must! I confess, I had not noticed.
Best
Paul
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=members&action=display&num=1269265871&start=2#2   copy 

Paul Leighton
Angie P
MV Fresher

Girl on the train

« Reply #3: 22.03.10 at 16:15 »

Hi guys,

I once logged in at 4 a m (night shift!) to discover there were 13 “guests” online.

Was thinking of applying for membership of the PA forum for insomniacs.  Devastated to learn it doesn’t exist!

Angie
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=members&action=display&num=1269265871&start=3#3   copy 
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.