Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 19.04.24 at 22:35 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Jeeves in Manhattan »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Gigs
(Moderator: Gerry Smith)
   Jeeves in Manhattan
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Jeeves in Manhattan  (Read 6889 times)
dr_john
MV Feature

You've gotta help me, doc...

Jeeves in Manhattan
« : 16.10.10 at 22:16 »

Not a gig as such, but Pete was at the Cheltenham Literature Festival last Sunday, producing an excellent Martin Jarvis reading of two P G Wodehouse stories set in New York (Leave it to Jeeves and Jeeves and the Unbidden Guest) for broadcast on Radio 4 at a later date.  
He came out on stage after the first story to arrange a couple of re-takes, and received a healthy round of applause - I wonder if there were any other MVs in the audience?
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1287263787&start=0#0   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Re: Jeeves in Manhattan
« Reply #1: 21.12.10 at 10:22 »

on 16.10.10 at 22:16, dr_john wrote:
Not a gig as such, but Pete was at the Cheltenham Literature Festival last Sunday, producing an excellent Martin Jarvis reading of two P G Wodehouse stories set in New York (Leave it to Jeeves and Jeeves and the Unbidden Guest) for broadcast on Radio 4 at a later date.  
He came out on stage after the first story to arrange a couple of re-takes, and received a healthy round of applause - I wonder if there were any other MVs in the audience?

There are six days remaining for you to hear Martin Jarvis perform 'The Artistic Career of Corky', the first of two of P.G. Wodehouse's celebrated Jeeves and Wooster 'New York' stories. The performance, produced and directed by one Pete Atkin, was recorded in front of a live audience in the Everyman Theatre, Cheltenham, as part of this year's Cheltenham Festival of Literature.

Elisabeth Mahoney writing on today's Guardian , finds a lot to admire in the production:
Quote:

Jeeves in Manhattan (Radio 4) was precisely what yesterday's weather called for. Martin Jarvis, recorded at the Cheltenham Literature Festival, played all the parts in PG Wodehouse's The Artistic Career of Corky, set in New York.
It was sparkling, cheering stuff. Bertie Wooster, with unflappable Jeeves in tow, set about sorting out the fortunes of Corky, a would-be artist. His uncle wanted him to join the family business, which was jute, and work up from the bottom. Corky wasn't sure what that might involve, but "instinct told him it was something too beastly for words".
The shape of the story was the same as ever – Jeeves to the rescue and hapless Bertie bemused by life – but Jarvis's performance was spot on, lifting the best lines and making them even funnier than they are on the page. When Jeeves's plan to help Corky marry the girl of his dreams goes awry, Bertie gives the painter a wide berth. "Absent treatment seemed the touch," he explained. "I gave it him in waves."
Corky paints a baby's portrait and the results are horrific. He tells Bertie that he was trying to give the baby a soul. "Could a child of that age have a soul like that?" he pondered. "I don't see how he could've managed it in the time."

Kevin Cryan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1287263787&start=1#1   copy 
andyw
MV Friend

Here's lurkin' .......

Re: Jeeves in Manhattan
« Reply #2: 21.12.10 at 12:07 »

Highly recommended as an iPlayer "must-listen".  Another producing triumph for Pete and Martin Jarvis' multiple voices are a treat.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1287263787&start=2#2   copy 
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.