Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 28.03.24 at 11:07 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Back from the Dead »
   Midnight Voices
   Atkin admin
   Tech
(Moderator: Snoopy)
   Back from the Dead
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Back from the Dead  (Read 4418 times)
S J Birkill
MV Administrator

just a sensible reserve

Back from the Dead
« : 26.06.08 at 21:22 »

Dear Voices of Midnight

Regulars among you may have noticed things have not been well this week at peteatkin.com. Our fatefully named serving engine "Celestial" fell into a coma on Saturday last, woke briefly on Sunday and then went finally and irrevokably to its ancestral hunting ground somewhere over the Rocky Mountains. Or so I imagine. Hosting service provider Digital Forest speak only of a 'hardware failure', so we have to imagine the attendant smoke and flames.

A chirpy young sprig named Spirea has taken over Celestial's earthbound duties, but has still to learn the ropes. Not everything is in the same place, and we'd built quite a complex of scripts and dynamic HTML during Celestial's time, much of which needs tweaking in terms of internal addresses and file permissions before it will work quite as well as it did before.

I seem to have got the basic Forum and Website functions running again, so we're about to go live. But there will be some creaks, groans and probably errors until we've got all the sights aligned and the bearings oiled (is it a shrub, a ship, a train?), which I will do as time permits over the next few days. So don't be surprised if some things don't work, or don't look right, or we go off line from time to time.

The good news is that we don't seem to have lost anything. All memberships and messages appear to be intact; there may be some oddities due to file dates having been reset -- for instance the colour-coded  'viewed' and 'posted' columns in the Members section have all been reset: the long-absent members will have to begin all over again their fade to pale blue.

So, let's see if this posts!

Stephen J Birkill

Administrator, Midnight Voices
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=tech&action=display&num=1214511771&start=0#0   copy 

Stephen J Birkill
Bogus Trumper
MV Fellow

You alone will be my last adventure

Re: Back from the Dead
« Reply #1: 26.06.08 at 21:55 »

on 26.06.08 at 21:22, S J Birkill wrote:
Dear Voices of Midnight

Regulars among you may have noticed things have not been well this week at peteatkin.com.

yup.   Wink

on 26.06.08 at 21:22, S J Birkill wrote:
Our fatefully named serving engine "Celestial" fell into a coma on Saturday last, woke briefly on Sunday and then went finally and irrevokably to its ancestral hunting ground somewhere over the Rocky Mountains.

What did it think of the floods in Cedar Rapids?  They are quite dramatic and I have never before seen a place where I live suffer so much destruction!   Huh
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=tech&action=display&num=1214511771&start=1#1   copy 

And so goodbye, my lady of a night
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.