Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 19.04.24 at 20:52 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « 'Covers' page: Don Partridge »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Music
(Moderator: Ian Chippett)
   'Covers' page: Don Partridge
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: 'Covers' page: Don Partridge  (Read 2711 times)
S J Birkill
MV Administrator

just a sensible reserve

'Covers' page: Don Partridge
« : 27.10.16 at 21:19 »

Don Partridge died in 2010, and now his brother Stewart has been in touch, to correct the implication in Andy Love's "Completists' Corner" that Don was careless with attribution on his Sonogram (Swedish) album 'Don Partridge and Friends'.

In fact the error was made by the album's publishers, and only spotted by Don after the album had gone to print. Don's use of 'Rebels' however was intentional. Stewart writes:

Quote:

Firstly, I thought I would let you know that Don greatly admired the music of Pete Atkin, and in fact he bought two copies of “Beware of The Beautiful Stranger” and gave me one.  His favourite tracks were “Sunrise”, “Touch Has A Memory” and “Master of The Revels”.  The latter song he often used to play when street busking, and he made a nice arrangement of it for the one man band – better than the arrangement that was used at the Stockholm performance.

The error in terms of the attribution of the song and lyrics in the Swedish album was down to the publisher, rather than Don, but it had gone to press before Don had a chance to correct it.  But for the record, we may be attempting to re-release several of Don’s recordings and promote them digitally in a year or so, which matches the 50th anniversary of his biggest hits.  So I will make sure that the correct attribution to Pete Atkin and Clive James is given.

Entitling it and singing it as “Master of The Rebels” was down to Don’s bolshie character, and because he considered and called himself “King of the Street Singers”, and in fact had that painted on his drum for many years.  Since all buskers were by nature quite rebellious characters, he chose to change the lyric to “Rebels” in many public performances, but if he sang it privately, he always sang the correct word “Revels”.

Anyhow, several of the family have enjoyed Pete Atkin’s music through the years, so perhaps you could personally convey to him how much my brother liked his stuff.

I’m also delighted to see that Pete is still performing live, so on a future trip back to UK, I will try to get to see one of his performances.

Some of us are putting together a “Don Partridge” website, which we hope to launch next year, and there are many things that we like about the style, feel and content of your site.  And I’ll make sure we correctly accredit PA and CJ on that site.

I've added a note to Andy's 'Covers' page to set the record straight.

Steve
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Music&action=display&num=1477599559&start=0#0   copy 

Stephen J Birkill
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.