Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 28.03.24 at 18:09 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « The Top Ten Polls 2006 - Vote Here! »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Music
(Moderator: Ian Chippett)
   The Top Ten Polls 2006 - Vote Here!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7   Start of Thread | Latest Post Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: The Top Ten Polls 2006 - Vote Here!  (Read 59420 times)
Richard Bleksley
MV Fixture

My time has come to find a better way

Re: The Top Ten Polls 2006 - Vote Here!
« Reply #120: 04.01.07 at 00:36 »

on 03.01.07 at 16:21, Ian Chippett wrote:
I'd like to see him go for some of the rockier, bloozier songs (Touch Has A Memory could almost fall in this category if you slow it down, play it in 12/8 with a screaming lead guitar and Hammond Organ.)

Now there's a funny thing. I've often thought myself that Touch Has a Memory, with a little manipulation, could be turned into a nice slinky slow blues...

Richard

(getting the New Year blues in Sutton, Surrey)
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Music&action=display&num=1164823599&start=120#120   copy 
Pete Atkin
MV Deity

Reading the poll results
« Reply #121: 05.01.07 at 12:18 »

Well, first of all, my personal thanks to everyone who participated.  Individual choices and comments were often just as interesting as the final outcome.  And just one of the reasons the final outcome was so interesting was that the voters, yourselves, have had a few additional years to live with the revival since the last vote; in other words, there was perhaps less of a nostalgia factor this time, which may account for the slippage down the list of Girl On The Train -- I don't know.  At least there's nothing in the top twenty that made me think 'Oh Gawd!'.   More positively, I was specially pleased to me to see a good sprinkling of 'orphans' in people's lists - The Double Agent, Tenderfoot, The Hollow And The Fluted Night, for instance - songs that have rarely been requested or discussed much, even if they didn't all make the final cut.    And I was neither surprised nor upset that the list comprised mostly older songs, not least since I know that not everyone has heard the newer stuff.  They're all things I remain proud of.   Phew.

I'll post separately what might have been my own contribution to the other poll.   Even before I've considered it carefully, I think it's unlikely my choices would have greatly affected the result.

Thanks again, voters all.

Pete
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Music&action=display&num=1164823599&start=121#121   copy 
Nedd
MV Friend

forty year fan

Re: The Top Ten Polls 2006 - A Pointless statistic
« Reply #122: 05.01.07 at 14:32 »

Of the thirteen Voices who sent in their lists for all to see and who use a reference to a song in their id or signature, only 6 had the song they quoted from in their list (and that's including JtJ who gave M of the R 11th place. )  
It must be quiet here this afternoon.  Smiley

Nedd.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Music&action=display&num=1164823599&start=122#122   copy 
Bogus Trumper
MV Fellow

You alone will be my last adventure

Re: The Top Ten Polls 2006 - A Pointless statistic
« Reply #123: 05.01.07 at 15:30 »

on 05.01.07 at 14:32, Nedd wrote:
Of the thirteen Voices who sent in their lists for all to see and who use a reference to a song in their id or signature, only 6 had the song they quoted from in their list (and that's including JtJ who gave M of the R 11th place. )  
It must be quiet here this afternoon.  Smiley

Nedd.

And one of those said  Cheesy

on 29.12.06 at 17:28, BogusTrumper wrote:

One of my favorite lyrics, as against favorite songs.  Parts of it have been in my sig at various times and various places.  But for me, this one is the words not the song.

Sorry Pete. Sad

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Music&action=display&num=1164823599&start=123#123   copy 

And so goodbye, my lady of a night
Ian Chippett
MV Moderator

In the clear at over fifty-five

Re: The Top Ten Polls 2006 - Vote Here!
« Reply #124: 05.01.07 at 18:03 »

Pete wrote:

<< I was specially pleased to me to see a good sprinkling of 'orphans' in people's lists - The Double Agent, Tenderfoot, The Hollow And The Fluted Night, for instance - songs that have rarely been requested or discussed much, even if they didn't all make the final cut.>>

The Double Agent is a beautiful song but like some of Pete's other songs it contains surprising chord changes: well, not exactly surprising but not typical of a song like this. Whereas the chords which accompany the line "my lovers eyes have not a word to say" are quite conventional (see Here, There and Everywhere by the Beatles) the chords which accompany the opening line aren't. I spent a decade or two (with interruptions for work, sleep, eating etc) trying to fathom them out and failing, not because they are particularly difficult, just because they're "wrong" in this case. Anyone else would have used the same H, T and E chords both times. (For "wrong" read "unconventional.") This must unconsciously disturb listeners who haven't already fallen in love with the songs. There's a similar example in The Hollow And The Fluted Night"just before Pete sings "the one loved most etc..." where the chord changes abruptly from A to Eb (the old triton.)

Ian C
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Music&action=display&num=1164823599&start=124#124   copy 
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7    Start of Thread | Latest Post Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.