Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 29.04.24 at 14:03 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Last Night at the Pheasantry »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Gigs
(Moderator: Gerry Smith)
   Last Night at the Pheasantry
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Last Night at the Pheasantry  (Read 612 times)
Seán Kelly
MV Fixture

Last Night at the Pheasantry
« : 10.03.24 at 10:58 »

Another lovely evening listening to Pete and Simon at the Pheasantry.  Circumstances have prevented me getting along for one or two of these recently so I was very pleased to be back.  The team worked as well together as ever and slowness seems to be the order of the day – a very welcome slowness which emphasises the gravitas of some of the songs and certainly gives the lyrics room to breathe (and ie be heard).  

Here’s the setlist with occasional brief notes – but it was all really enjoyable. Unless otherwise noted these songs were all with Simon on Piano and Pete on the acoustic Atkin [no relation] guitar.

First Set:
1.      The Man Who Walked Towards The Music – My notes say slow almost magisterial!  
then a further slowing down as they segued into
2.      Screen-Freak
3.      The Pearl Driller
4.      The Dancing Master –no guitar
5.      The Flowers and the Wine – no guitar
6.      A Practical Man – rocking and rolling piano and guitar made this one of the more extrovert songs of the night
7.      Between Us There Is Nothing – no guitar –powerful yet understated
8.      A King At Nightfall. So Strong. This was the emotional centre of the night for me.  The new slower performance seems to deepen every time I hear it.  It shows that this song, which seems to be about a very particular set of circumstances, actually speaks of something which everyone eventually experiences : loss and change of role.  How many divorcees can identify with the line about the ring which is “lovely” but which suddenly “doesn’t mean a thing”.  
9.      Beware of the Beautiful Stranger  

Second Set:
10.      The Luck of the Draw
11.      Winter- Spring. Pete noted that he had never played this live with Simon – and rarely played it live at all - but that Simon’s piano accompaniment “makes it work”. Great to hear this. Pete described it as being about “the philosophy of saying goodbye”. I can’t have been the only one who felt a sudden sadness at that point at the loss of Clive.
12.      Girl On The Train
13.      All I Ever Did  – Pete Solo on Piano
14.      Me To Thank – Pete Solo on Piano
15.      Search and Destroy – Pete Solo on Piano - a more strident song in amongst tonight’s mostly more reflective ones, and all the more effective for that.
16.      The Secret Drinker
17.      Perfect Moments – Pete had fun demonstrating how, as an experiment, he had originally tried setting this to some often-used pop-song chord sequences. In the end he only kept the first two chords of one of them- thank goodness! Simon took flight on this number with a lovely piano solo.
18.      Thirty Year Man – as strong as ever – No guitar
19.      Have You Got A Biro – let’s call this a very short version, since it seemed the lyrics did not offer themselves up for recall - so Pete moved swiftly on to:
20.       Laughing Boy – and a chance for Pete to reminisce in the introduction to the song about going on tour – and singing – with Clive.
21.      Encore – Together At Last – followed almost immediately by
22.      Touch Has A Memory - another slow and powerful song to end with.
I hope I have got the above list full and correct – but any corrections or additions are very much welcomed.

Caption: Simon takes time out to sit on the stairs and keep a friendly eye on Pete's solo performance on the piano!

Many thanks to Pete and Simon for another great night – and to the Pheasantry staff and sound person for excellent sound and a very pleasant and respectful ambience. The whole thing was being discreetly filmed so hopefully we will be able to see parts (if not all?) of it at a later date.

« Last Edit: 10.03.24 at 11:28 by Seán Kelly »     https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1710064697&start=0#0   copy 
Jigbuster
MV Fresher

Re: Last Night at the Pheasantry
« Reply #1: 10.03.24 at 13:23 »

What a set list! Wish I could have been there, but nevertheless looking forward to Pete's solo return to Zeffirelli's in Ambleside in September (Pheasantry North?) Who knows, if we get a good house there and the following night at Middlesborough we might be able to upgrade to the Pete/Simon duo in 2025. Meanwhile, don't forget to keep looking for a suitable venue or two for Pete to play on the way north or south from those.

How come the audience didn't turn into Prompt Corner during that short version of "Biro"? With advancing years I've had to accept there are some songs that I can't get through without a cribsheet. It's mainly when the second half of one verse tries to insert itself after the first half of a different verse. A strong story such as "Beware of the Beautiful Starnger" gives me no problem despite having lots of words.
Tony Farren
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1710064697&start=1#1   copy 
Douglas Fergus
MV Friend

Okeydoke, my armchair hero

« Reply #2: 10.03.24 at 15:11 »

Thanks for sharing, Sean.
Great review and photographs.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1710064697&start=2#2   copy 
Keith Busby
MV Fixture

« Reply #3: 10.03.24 at 16:16 »

Good job, Sean! I'm sorry to have missed it. I had thought of coming but there are often late blizzards in Chicago this time of year. Now, of course, it's record warmth.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1710064697&start=3#3   copy 

Commit THAT to Your Fragrant Memory!
Tim Venner
MV Fresher

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #4: 10.03.24 at 19:59 »

Agree wholeheartedly with Sean's assessment of the evening.  Great mix of old and new numbers, and the leisurely pace really allowed us to appreciate Clive's lyrics, Pete's voice, and Simon's playing.  Particular praise for Pheasantry's sound engineer  -  wonderfully clear.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1710064697&start=4#4   copy 
Seán Kelly
MV Fixture

« Reply #5: 10.03.24 at 20:05 »

Cheers Douglas, Keith and Tim!  And Jigbuster - yes well indeed the front part of the audience did turn into impromptu lyric-prompters - BUT we did not speak with one voice - and probably Pete was right not to trust us (certainly so in my case - I was calling out "Double Decker Bus" which Pete rightly identified as coming from the second verse!  Smiley
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1710064697&start=5#5   copy 
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.