Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 29.04.24 at 17:23 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Zeffirelli's, Ambleside - Sept 6th/7th 2023 »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Gigs
(Moderator: Gerry Smith)
   Zeffirelli's, Ambleside - Sept 6th/7th 2023
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Zeffirelli's, Ambleside - Sept 6th/7th 2023  (Read 871 times)
Pete Atkin
MV Deity

Zeffirelli's, Ambleside - Sept 6th/7th 2023
« : 11.09.23 at 22:28 »

It's an enormous thank to Tony Farren, who initially asked if I'd be willing to play a private gig at his 40th wedding anniversary party.  Having said I would, he set about setting up a public gig on the previous evening at the same venue, Zeffirelli's in Ambleside (The Pheasantry of the North is how I think of it now).  It's an excellent, friendly, congenial, well run restaurant-type venue that majors in music, and which happens to have a first-rate grand piano on its stage, which I opted to use instead of my Korg keyboard as soon as I arrived for a soundcheck.

For the record, here's my setlist for Wednesday 6th:

Lauching Boy (guitar)
Practical Man (g)
Touch has a memory (piano)
Screen-Freak (p)
Wristwatch for a Drummer (g)
Thirty Year Man (p)
I See the Joker (p)
Beware of the Beautiful Stranger (g)
Have You Got A Biro?
-----
The Way You Are With Me (g)
Perfect moments (p)
Canoe (p)
Stranger in Town (g)
Sessionman's Blues (p)
An Empty Table (p)
A King At Nightfall (p)
The Luck of the Draw (g)
Girl on the train (g)
Together at Last (g)

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the majority of the songs I sang the following evening at Tony and Zoe's celebration were requests, either from Tony himself or from his brother Rob, some of whose particular requests to include some of the sidemen from the original recordings I was regretfully unable to fulfil.    Most of the packed audience were equally unsurprisingly not previously aware of me or of the songs, but having been well primed by Tony they were impressively tolerant and appreciative, including his brother-in-law, who it turns out happens to be a rather famous film star hem hem.   Anyway, this is what I sang for the celebration:

The Luck of the Draw (guitar)
The Way You Are With me (g)
I See the Joker (p)
The Flowers and the Wine (p)
Beware of the Beautiful Stranger (g)
Wristwatch for a Drummer (g)
Thirty Year Man (p)
Have You got A Biro? (g)
The Original Original Honky Tonk Night Train Blues (g)
+ Perfect Moments (p)

Big thanks from me to everyone there, all of whom made both occasions hugely enjoyable for me.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1694467712&start=0#0   copy 
Jigbuster
MV Fresher

Re: Zeffirelli's, Ambleside - Sept 6th/7th 2023
« Reply #1: 12.09.23 at 10:11 »

Brilliant - thanks, Pete - that saves me trying to remember what you sang. I was enjoying both occasions far too much to take notes. Just two small corrections:
1. Rob isn't my brother, although I can understand why people might think he is. He's my best mate from university, and best man at our wedding, whom I hardly ever see because he lives in Buenos Aires and works all over the world. Yes, he wanted (tongue-in-cheek) some long-dead sidemen to appear, but sadly they couldn't make it back from the other side.
2. In fact it was Pete's report that he had done a ruby wedding private gig last year that gave me the idea for this 2-nighter. I knew the venue and the piano would suit Pete well, but didn't feel justified in dragging him all the way from Bristol just for a possibly quite small audience. The private party gave me the opportunity to do that and to put Pete in front of a guaranteed larger audience (70 or so) who I was confident would love him. He had quite a long conversation about drummers with my drumming friend Will Sutherland, who can talk indefinitely on the topic. The brother-in-law had been primed to listen to some of the songs over the last few years, so was already an admirer, and his grown-up kids enjoyed it too.

Now then, all you MVs out there, I could get Pete back to Ambleside next year, if he'd like to come, but you would have to promise to give him an audience of more than 40! I guess some of my more local party guests would come again, but they tend to have commitments like playing in bands or looking after grandchildren. We could perhaps do more local publicity around the Clive connection etc.

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1694467712&start=1#1   copy 
Space Cowboy
MV Fresher

A fan for 35 years .. since Langwith College, York

« Reply #2: 12.09.23 at 11:50 »

I would have thought 40 is eminently doable .. I would certainly be up for it if I’m around and fit and able ... we were in excess of that last Wednesday. Lantern Theatre and Alstonefield were comfortably in excess of that as well ( places I attended in the north in relatively recent times ).
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1694467712&start=2#2   copy 
Terry_Caster
MV Friend

Be certain of who you are...

« Reply #3: 12.09.23 at 14:15 »

Would have loved to come over for this from Yorkshire had I not been dragged south by my employer. So next year I (we) can try better!
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1694467712&start=3#3   copy 
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.