Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 29.03.24 at 06:50 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Pete, Clive and Julie: Monyash Festival, 25 years on »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Gigs
(Moderator: Gerry Smith)
   Pete, Clive and Julie: Monyash Festival, 25 years on
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Pete, Clive and Julie: Monyash Festival, 25 years on  (Read 2039 times)
S J Birkill
MV Administrator

just a sensible reserve

Pete, Clive and Julie: Monyash Festival, 25 years on
« : 16.08.22 at 07:04 »

It was 25 years ago today when I helped stage the first Monyash Folk Festival in the eponymous Peak District village. The folk song event occupied the afternoon of August 16th, 1997, but in the evening the event transformed into what some have seen as a comeback concert by Pete Atkin, the 'other half' of the Atkin/James (as in Clive James) songwriting partnership. To the surprise and delight of everyone, one of the greatest interpreters of their songs, Julie Covington, made a guest appearance. Click on the image to read the story behind that show:

Steve

PS: I posted this in F*ceb**k as well, but avoided saying 'jubilee' or 'anniversary' lest FB inflated the word to full screen and decorated it with cakes and balloons!
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1660629896&start=0#0   copy 

Stephen J Birkill
Terry_Caster
MV Friend

Be certain of who you are...

Re: Pete, Clive and Julie: Monyash Festival, 25 years on
« Reply #1: 16.08.22 at 21:28 »

As a relative newcomer to the site, that was a really interesting post. Thanks! Vexing that so many cultural products are either lost, hidden away or beyond the wallet range of mere mortals. Those initial Footlights-related albums must have been fascinating insights to the era.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1660629896&start=1#1   copy 
Stephen Burgess
MV Fresher

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #2: 20.08.22 at 09:02 »

Thanks for posting this Steve. I wasn't at Monyash but I do have the CDs and a VHS tape of the event. I did make it to Buxton which was a wonderful evening in a grand setting. I particularly remember enjoying hearing some of the unrecorded songs for the first time such as "Eye of the Universe" and "Canoe". Pete and Clive were on great form and clearly enjoyed being in front of such a knowledgeable audience. It must have given them the confidence to go on and do the tours in subsequent years and revive Pete's career. It's all down to you Steve and your dedicated work over the last 25 years !
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1660629896&start=2#2   copy 
Simon Reap
MV Fixture

Toggler to the few!

« Reply #3: 20.08.22 at 10:53 »

I'm reminded of this every year - my second daughter was born on the 14th, and I felt it politic not to nip off to Derbyshire so soon afterwards Smiley

Luckily I could go to the 1999 (Field of Dreams) version, and had great fun on the sound desk. Thanks to Steve, Carole, Pete and the Beautiful Changers for some very fond memories.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1660629896&start=3#3   copy 
Avner Greenberg
MV Feature

« Reply #4: 07.09.22 at 17:48 »

Thank you Steve for compiling this brief history of the PA revival from 1997 onward.
Such special memories of the Field of Dreams event in yours and Carole's "backyard" in August 1999. Made my way from Israel to meet up with son Noam then studying in the USA, a big PA fan from his teens. Remember spying a figure lurking in the distance, whom we correctly surmised was the guest of honour. Then the excitement of seeing Pete up close performing the excellent covers before the main event, opening with my request, Ice Cream Man.
The atmosphere was so welcoming, and meeting all those MVs was such a great pleasure.
I remain eternally thankful to you, Carole and Alexis for staging that extraordinary show.
Ah, and I almost forgot to mention the hugely entertaining Beautiful Changers band.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1660629896&start=4#4   copy 

Avner Greenberg
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.