Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 23.04.24 at 20:47 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Philip French Aug1933- Oct 2015 »
   Midnight Voices
   Not Pete Atkin
   Off-topic
(Moderator: S J Birkill)
   Philip French Aug1933- Oct 2015
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Philip French Aug1933- Oct 2015  (Read 4631 times)
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Philip French Aug1933- Oct 2015
« : 31.10.15 at 12:25 »

Philip French, film critic, born 28 August 1933; died 26 October 2015

Obituary
The Guardian

Derek Malcolm
Tuesday 27 October 2015 17.13 GMT  

Clive James on Philip French

Quote:
....Philip French is one of the hidden presences behind this book and behind the career of almost every serious literary journalist for two generations.  

The Metropolitan Critic (1974)

Quote:

...in the early days I wrote a lot of scripts for BBC radio and Philip French and my other producers helped to teach me the difference between easy-seeming eloquence and mere rambling on...

The Dreaming Swimmer (1992)

Kevin Cryan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1446290752&start=0#0   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Re: Philip French Aug1933- Oct 2015
« Reply #1: 01.11.15 at 09:23 »

The Observer

Writers, directors, actors, colleagues and friends remember an exceptional critic who never fell prey to phrase-making and who loved and lived the world of film
Sunday 1 November 2015 08.00 GMT  

Clive James, critic and broadcaster  

Quote:
In my early days as a pundit on BBC radio arts programmes, Philip was often my producer, and there was never a better one, although he had a sharp temper if he caught me slacking. The stammer which he lived with so bravely kept him from being the broadcaster he might have been, so he made sure his contributors were at their best on his behalf. He was brighter and better-informed than any of them.  

His only weakness was to believe that Heaven’s Gate was an unjustly neglected masterpiece; but that might have been an example of his generosity of appreciation exceeding, for once, the bounds of reason. Otherwise he was impeccable, and his diligence was a chastening example to all of us. I read his Observer column every week, wondering how he did it. Love helped: he was mad about the arts, which is always the best start to being sane about them.

Kevin Cryan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1446290752&start=1#1   copy 
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.