Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 28.03.24 at 15:52 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Kate McGarrigle (1946- 2010) »
   Midnight Voices
   Not Pete Atkin
   Off-topic
(Moderator: S J Birkill)
   Kate McGarrigle (1946- 2010)
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Kate McGarrigle (1946- 2010)  (Read 9636 times)
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Kate McGarrigle (1946- 2010)
« : 20.01.10 at 08:47 »

Kate McGarrigle The Guardian 20.01.2010.

The death of someone whose presence on has been aware of for what seems like a lifetime, an especially one who is barely one day younger than oneself, is bound to affect one personally, if only because intimations of one's own mortality come into sharper focus than usual.  

It is therefore with more than a tinge of personal sadness that I read of the death on the 18th of January of Kate McGarragle, born on the 6th of February 1946,  who, as many people reading this will know, appeared alongside Julie Covington on The Albion Band's 1978 album Rise Up Like The Sun and whose sister and singing partner, Anna, wrote one of the songs, Dead Weight,
recorded
by Julie in the same year for her eponymous album.  

Kate McGarrigle (centre) with daughter, Martha Wainwright, and son, Rufus Wainwright, photographed at the Paul Morissey estate in Montauk, New York, September 2006. Photograph by Mark Seliger.

For those who are interested in reading more, Tony Russell has contributed a sober and fitting obituary to today's edition of The Guardian.

Kevin Cryan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1263977220&start=0#0   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Re: Kate McGarrigle (1946- 2010)
« Reply #1: 20.01.10 at 10:38 »

Kate & Anna McGarrigle with Rufus Wainwright (son of Kate), Emmylou Harris, Mary Black, Karen Matheson and Rod Paterson performing Stephen C. Foster's Hard Times Come Again No More . (Transatlantic Sessions. Series 3 (BBC 2008).)  

Kevin Cryan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1263977220&start=1#1   copy 
Pete Atkin
MV Deity

« Reply #2: 20.01.10 at 11:23 »

That's a sadness.   She has been a great presence and a great contributor in all sorts of ways.  That first Kate & Anna LP was especially influential.  It sounded at the time like nothing else that was going on, with an intimacy and immediacy and a way of bringing together ideas and styles and approaches that pointed the way forward for a lot of writers and performers, quite apart from the enduring songs, amongst which I've always been specially fond of 'Work Song' which Maria Muldaur recorded on her first album.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1263977220&start=2#2   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #3: 20.01.10 at 13:10 »

on 20.01.10 at 11:23, Pete Atkin wrote:

...... I've always been specially fond of 'Work Song' which Maria Muldaur recorded on her first album.

The one that does it for me is Kate's self-composed Talk To Me Of Mendocino (Transatlantic Sessions Series 1 (BBC/RTE 1994). If this particular performance does not appeal,  then it's worth giving the song a second chance by checking out Linda Ronstadt's version.

Kevin Cryan

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1263977220&start=3#3   copy 
dr_john
MV Feature

You've gotta help me, doc...

« Reply #4: 28.01.10 at 13:53 »

The sisters' 'Kiss and Say Goodbye' is still in my Top Ten singles of all time. I first saw them sing it on what I seem to remember was their first ever tour of England, at the Chorley 'July Wakes' folk festival in 1976. They were still a bit jet-lagged and fluffed a couple of lines in Loudon Wainwright's 'Swimming Song', but a member of the audience (all right, it was me) set them straight.

Also on the bill that day were Mike Harding, 5 Hand Reel (with Dick Gaughan), Alan Hull AND Jack The Lad, and John Prine.
Then on the next day Bert Jansch, The Chieftains, John Martyn, and... Pete Atkin.

How come they don't have festivals like that any more?

Dr John
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1263977220&start=4#4   copy 
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.