Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 29.03.24 at 06:29 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Clive & the Finns »
   Midnight Voices
   Not Pete Atkin
   Off-topic
(Moderator: S J Birkill)
   Clive & the Finns
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Clive & the Finns  (Read 3344 times)
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Clive & the Finns
« : 22.05.07 at 06:56 »

It is frequently said that Clive's TV celebrity status very often gets in the way of his being taken seriously as a writer by some sections of the English-speaking world.  

If that is the case, as some think it to be,  then consider the difficulties he may be encounter in Finland where he is apparently seen as TV sex symbol, (uusin seksisymbolini). I have this on the authority the eminent Finnish law professor, former judge, and author, Jukka, Kemppinen, who, at the beginning his online diary entry commenting on the Clive's Egon Friedell essay, says so. Of course, I don't know the Finns or the Finnish language well enough to say that it's not Clive's serious side that the Finns find sexy.  

Uusin seksisymbolini Clive James kertoo uudessa kirjassaan, että Egon Friedellin uuden ajan kulttuurihistoria tosin ilmestyi englanniksi mutta se ei kiinnostanut ketään pätkääkään eikä Friedelliä löydy kirjoista eikä kansista "missään muualla kuin Saksassa", josta juutalaiset pakolaiset ottivat usein kultakorun sijasta ainoaksi aarteekseen pakomatkalle mukaan Fiedellin I-III. Täytyy meilata miehelle, että on toinenkin maa, Suomi.

Hän kuitenkin kirjoittaa uskomattoman hienon artikkelin Putinista puhumalla vain Hitleristä, tämä Friedellin ja muiden Wienin juutalaisten varjolla.

Kun Friedell ja Sperber pelasivat kahvilassa korttia, takana seisoi ovelle ulottuva jono. Ihmiset halusivat kuunnella keskustelua, todellista keskustelua. Vallalla oli sellainen käsitys, että keskustelu on eri asia kuin journalsmi tai kirjallisuus. Ja Friedell oli oikeasta paitsi lehtimies myös varieteetaiteilija ja Wienin etevimpiä stand-up -koomikkoja (anteeksi englanti). Tätä Suomessa kukaan ei ole koskaan tiennyt eikä aikoinaan kuullut, koska kukaan ei voi ymmärtää wienin murretta juutalaisittain äännettynä ja konekiväärin tulinopeudella puhuttana (600 sanaa sekunnissa).

Näin mekin eilen. Lähde on tuo C. Jamesin essee:

"He tapasivat lounastauolla, mutta se ei riitä vähemmän tärkeiden asioiden sanomiseen. Tärkeää puhetta on se puhe, jolla ei ole väliä, ja siihen menee aikaa."

"The talk that counts is the talk that doesn't matter, and to get that you need time to spare."

Kevin Cryan

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1179813362&start=0#0   copy 
Colin Boag
MV Feature

Re: Clive & the Finns
« Reply #1: 22.05.07 at 16:34 »

Strange language, strange people.  One of the best bits of advice I was ever given was when I took my first international job and a colleague told me 'Don't ever drink with the Finns'.  Naturally I ignored it and rapidly understood why he'd said it - an almost supernatural capacity for alcohol seems to be a national characteristic.  If CJ is 'big in Finland' I don't give much for the chances of his liver.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1179813362&start=1#1   copy 

Colin
Bogus Trumper
MV Fellow

You alone will be my last adventure

Re: Clive & the Finns
« Reply #2: 24.05.07 at 21:26 »

on 22.05.07 at 16:34, colin_boag wrote:
Strange language, strange people.  One of the best bits of advice I was ever given was when I took my first international job and a colleague told me 'Don't ever drink with the Finns'.  Naturally I ignored it and rapidly understood why he'd said it - an almost supernatural capacity for alcohol seems to be a national characteristic.  If CJ is 'big in Finland' I don't give much for the chances of his liver.

I would add to that  "......especially if they are building a road in the middle of Africa and there is nothing else to do"

Cheesy
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1179813362&start=2#2   copy 

And so goodbye, my lady of a night
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.