Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 29.03.24 at 10:26 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « ThOD revisited: 19th September 2009 »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   *oDs
(Moderator: Leslie Moss)
   ThOD revisited: 19th September 2009
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: ThOD revisited: 19th September 2009  (Read 85602 times)
S J Birkill
MV Administrator

just a sensible reserve

Re: ThOD revisited: 19th September 2009
« Reply #60: 18.09.09 at 14:43 »

Hi Leslie

They're all bad, without that southern route transpennine motorway crossing shelved in the '70s! It can take between an hour and 90 minutes to get from here to Manchester Airport.

However...

From central Manchester to central Sheffield, A57 (Snake Pass) is preferred. If you were heading for the south-west of the city (e.g. MV HQ) you'd turn right at Ladybower Reservoir, A6013 Bamford picking up A6187 (used to be A625) and in via Hathersage, Dore Moor and Whirlow. Watch for bikers at weekends.

A628 (Woodhead Pass) is good mainly for northern and eastern Sheffield, and you can pick up M1 north of the city, via the A616 Stocksbridge bypass. Watch for trucks during the week.

A623 (Tideswell) is OK for the Peak District but not much else. If you were coming from southern Manchester, say the airport, I'd recommend A6 to Chapel en-le-Frith, then unclassified over Winnats Pass (bypassing the collapsed Mam Tor road) into Castleton and Hope Valley, A6187 Hathersage as above. Watch for paragliders on a fine day.

So yes, A57 is least painful: From the Oxford Road area head north-eastwards, crossing A6 and joining A57 at Ardwick or Belle Vue. On crossing the M60 orbital, A57 becomes M67 for a stretch, then back to slow through Mottram and Glossop, then high moorland over the Snake. Watch for sheep. Straight on at Ladybower, entering Sheffield via the University district. Easiest way to the Kenwood is detailed under "approach from Manchester direction" on page 2 of the PDF linked from the Smash Flops home page.

Don't be late!

Steve
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=ods&action=display&num=1240660706&start=60#60   copy 

Stephen J Birkill
Mike Walters
MV Fixture

« Reply #61: 18.09.09 at 17:36 »

I'd second Steve's recommendation.  I'd opt - indeed, I will be opting - for the A57, partly because I already live out that way but also because it's a) the shortest (if not necessarily the fastest) and b) the most pleasant drive.  I recall that Germaine Greer, in one of those Sunday newspaper questionnaires, described crossing Snake Pass as her favourite journey.  Not sure I'd quite go that far, but it's not bad.  

See you there!  

Mike
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=ods&action=display&num=1240660706&start=61#61   copy 
Leslie Moss
MV Moderator

Marmite Soldier

« Reply #62: 18.09.09 at 18:28 »

Thanks Steve/Mike. I think I'll be okay for time. Driving from London to Manchester Uni to arrive by lunchtime, then lunch and unloading of a year's worth of stuff plus a son. Then driving across to Sheffield and picking Gill up at Sheffield station then registering at the B&B then finding somewhere to eat then showing up at the Lantern Theatre with a minute to spare. I'll be the one snoring in the back row!

See you all tomorrow.

Leslie
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=ods&action=display&num=1240660706&start=62#62   copy 
Ian Ashleigh
MV Fixture

Carnations on the Roof

« Reply #63: 18.09.09 at 19:49 »

Hi All

A clash with Jewish New Year prevents me from coming North.  I hope you all have a wonderful time.

Maybe we could reconvene at Ravenswood in Sharpthorne next spring.  Does anyone fancy the first May Bank Holiday in Sussex?
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=ods&action=display&num=1240660706&start=63#63   copy 

Though he had no great gifts of personality or mind, he was quite well respected.
Jan
MV Fellow

« Reply #64: 18.09.09 at 20:58 »

That sounds like a very good idea Ian!
Jan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=ods&action=display&num=1240660706&start=64#64   copy 
Rob Spence
MV Fixture

Hypertension Kid

« Reply #65: 18.09.09 at 21:29 »

Yes, get it sorted, Ian! Smiley
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=ods&action=display&num=1240660706&start=65#65   copy 
Richard Whiting
MV Friend

There Isn't Much A Target Needs To Know

« Reply #66: 19.09.09 at 22:27 »

So near, yet so far!  I was obliged to take my son back to Uni today...and then I had to return home.  He's at Uni in...Sheffield.  I wasn't sure which day he was going back until this week.  I did pop along to the theatre to see if it was worth hanging around for any un-sold tickets...but [at about 14:30] it seemed deserted so I began my return journey with a heavy heart.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=ods&action=display&num=1240660706&start=66#66   copy 
S J Birkill
MV Administrator

just a sensible reserve

« Reply #67: 20.09.09 at 01:55 »

Sorry you missed us, Richard. Don't quite know how -- we were in there for set-up and sound check from about 14:25 to 16:00, during which time Keith, the theatre manager, Carole and Alexis were around FoH, and then we were all back for final preps 18:30. Those last 8 seats were never taken, but distributed through the auditorium they didn't make themselves too painfully felt. Good show and reception afterwards. Setlist and reviews to follow, I fully expect. Several new PA/CJ songs.

S
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=ods&action=display&num=1240660706&start=67#67   copy 

Stephen J Birkill
Gerry Smith
MV Fixture

« Reply #68: 20.09.09 at 12:55 »

I would so much have liked to come but had a gig of my own to see to. Looking forward to reading the reviews and especially hearing about these new songs.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=ods&action=display&num=1240660706&start=68#68   copy 

Out playing the saxes
Cary
MV Feature

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #69: 20.09.09 at 21:04 »

I think there must be something wrong with my computer!!! No reviews yet? Well, here’s mine …. From Carole’s introduction, through Pete’s experimental arrangements, to the post concert reception ….. brilliant!!! Yet another successful *oD – thank you to all involved.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=ods&action=display&num=1240660706&start=69#69   copy 

…………. _/\ /\_ ………….
….Cary….a a….
Like Mary @
..With a..“C”..for cat
andyw
MV Friend

Here's lurkin' .......

« Reply #70: 20.09.09 at 21:41 »

Computer’s working, Cary.

Just back from Sheffield via a grand tour of parts of Yorkshire and points west, encompassing the excellent Botanical Garden in Sheffield, moorland treks, sheepdog trials in Derbyshire, ice cream at the top of Holme Moss and meeting up with other family members in Salford.

Thank you, Pete, for a beautifully balanced programme of old and new pieces, a most enjoyable concert and post-show gathering – all credit to the Birkills and all the other MV supporters of the event – truly memorable!

Andy and Jane
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=ods&action=display&num=1240660706&start=70#70   copy 
Ian Sorensen
MV Feature

A King at Sunrise

« Reply #71: 20.09.09 at 21:41 »

I agree with Cary - absolutely brilliant and everything we expect from our boy. Thanks Carole for putting it all together.

I was tempted to try a review late last night but (hangs head in shame) I was unsure how many new songs were in the set. Was it 3? My uncertainty lies in part in my less than encyclopaedic knowledge of Pete's setlists from past gigs: what's new to me might be (in our terms) an old favourite by now.

The songs positively identified as new were definitely of high quality and seemed to me to be more like the  classic era songs in structure than some of the more recent offerings. One of them, a piano ballad was neatly segued into An Empty Table, so failed to get the round of applause it deserved in its own right.

My only criticism was Pete's obstinate refusal to chat between songs as he wanted to cram more tunes in. I like his chat, whether scandalous gossip about Clive's secret inner life (Slingbacks! Who knew?) or elliptical introductions to songs. Pete's such a nice chap, and so self-deprecating, that I would be willing to sacrifice the odd song or two to hear more from him on any subject.  

As now seems the norm Pete switched between guitar and piano with scant regard to the original recording or the song's lyrics. So we got I See the Joker and  30 Year Man on the guitar (though Thief in the Night stayed on 6 strings and not 88).  

But I'm not complaining - it was all just great. I think Pete's voice is now better than ever and await a new album eagerly.

Ian
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=ods&action=display&num=1240660706&start=71#71   copy 
Rob Spence
MV Fixture

Hypertension Kid

« Reply #72: 20.09.09 at 21:49 »

Rather more than three new songs, I think, and an intimation from Mr Atkin post-show that there are more - enough maybe for a new collection, we hope.
What a lovely, warm and convivial occasion it was, and I'd like to add my thanks to Carole and Steve for all their efforts.  
And Russell Davies has just played the Midnight Voices version of "Thief in the Night", a popular encore last night,  on his Radio 2 show Smiley
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=ods&action=display&num=1240660706&start=72#72   copy 
Jan
MV Fellow

« Reply #73: 20.09.09 at 22:03 »

It wasn't the computer it was the broadband connection!
Here's the setlist from the Lantern. it was superb and eclectic, a mixture of brand new songs, recent songs, covers and old favourites (plus one that was just old  Wink )

1. Sunlight Gate (g)
Relevant all over again as Pete said in the context of the news reports from Wootton Bassett.
2. The way you are with me (g)
3. Search and destroy (k)
4. A man who's been around (k)
5. I will write my book (k) A Joe Henry song from his album Civilians. Beautiful song, also recorded by Sarah Moule on Lazy kind of love.
6. All the dead were strangers (g)  A real rarity, only the second performance since 1996, the other was at the Lamb in Eastbourne July 2004
7. Canoe (g)
8. Prince of Aquitaine (g)
9. Time to burn (k) Lovely keyboard on this one
10. I've got me to thank (k) Usually played on guitar
segue into
11. An empty table (k)
12. We will love again (g) New song! Apparently Clive James suggested that a cocktail piano approach would be appropriate - my notes say "interesting guitar" !
13. Girl on the train (g)
Interval
14. The Joker (g!)
15. His latest flame (g) Cover of the Elvis Presley song by Pomus and Shuman. Something about the chord sequence being  the source of the Joker chords, upside down. (Perhaps someone else can elucidate)
16. Tenderfoot (k)
17. Nothing can touch us now (k) Another new one.
18. Rattlesnake Rock (g)  
19. Sessionman's blues (g)
20. Perfect moments (k)
21. Razor Boy (g) Cover of the Steely Dan song.
22. I know the way that it will go (g)  Another new one. Very sad. Really hope we hear this one again.
23. Touch has a memory (k)
24. Thirty year man (g)
25. Here we stay (g) Marching version
26. Thief in the night (g)

It was a lovely evening.
Thank you Pete, Carole and Steve!
Jan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=ods&action=display&num=1240660706&start=73#73   copy 
Leslie Moss
MV Moderator

Marmite Soldier

« Reply #74: 21.09.09 at 11:49 »

Ok (as he looks for a friendly rock to duck down behind before posting the rest of this message) - while I very much enjoyed the evening I don't think that this was one of Pete's better performances. It just didn't quite gell for me. Maybe it was the problems he had with A Man who's Been Around near the beginning, but I felt he never fully let rip (until, ironically, the encore when he gave a wonderful performance of Thief in the Night).  

While I'm all in favour of trying out different stuff, I wasn't sure about some of the transcriptions of keyboard songs to guitar - especially Thirty-Year Man which is a sublime piano song. The overall effect was to drain some of the energy out of the performance, which was strangly subdued.

But I do agree with earlier posters about the new songs (and indeed the newish songs). They definitely have a "classical" feel to them which is a real pleasure. And An Empty Table just gets better with every performance - one of the best PA/CJ songs ever.

So sorry Pete, I can't give it five stars on this occasion, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Leslie
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=ods&action=display&num=1240660706&start=74#74   copy 
dr_john
MV Feature

You've gotta help me, doc...

« Reply #75: 21.09.09 at 13:06 »

I can only add my thanks to Carole + Steve for organising a wonderful evening, of which almost every aspect was a joy, even the anamorphic image on the tickets! The single downer was that, after I'd been looking forward to it for months, the show seemed to be all over in a flash.

I dare say there were more new songs to me than to most of the audience - Pete's greeting of "Hello fans" was more accurate than it is at most gigs - but his List contained, I thought, just the right mixture of new and old, including a couple that I'd requested here (he probably would have played them anyway). Performances were immaculate, and I'm sure hardly anyone noticed the slight fluff on 'A Man Who's Been Around'.

I think he said the chords in the intro to 'I See The Joker' are E minor, G major while those in 'His Latest Flame' are vice versa, but don't quote me on it. I thought he was going to play 'Bo Diddley', while my girlfriend Liz thought 'Faith' by George Michael. Maybe next time.

The post-gig reception was also brilliant, in an entirely-unfaded mansion on the hill. The Kenwood Chef did us proud with the sandwiches, and Pete was charm itself chatting to an awestruck fan (me). It was lovely to meet some of the MV fixtures - even a deity.

Thanks again
John Burscough

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=ods&action=display&num=1240660706&start=75#75   copy 
Mike Walters
MV Fixture

« Reply #76: 21.09.09 at 13:32 »

Just to echo everyone else's views, a terrific evening. With regard to Leslie's comments, I think it's probably inevitable that, if Pete offers a more experimental set, it will be a little less polished and more tentative than if he sticks to the more tried and tested material.  But one of the privileges of the *oDs is that they allow us to hear songs and versions that might otherwise remain un-aired, and I thought it was one of the most enjoyable and varied sets I've ever heard from Pete.  For my part, I was particularly pleased by the cover versions because I think that, in addition to his other talents, Pete is a marvellous interpreter of others' songs.  And the range of new songs suggests that Pete's not far from having a portfolio of excellent material that would make a great new CD...let's hope it happens before too long.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=ods&action=display&num=1240660706&start=76#76   copy 
Space Cowboy
MV Fresher

A fan for 35 years .. since Langwith College, York

« Reply #77: 21.09.09 at 16:59 »

I have to say what a brilliant night I had and wish I'd been able to get to earlier gatherings. It's amazing how the old songs stand the test of time and the newer ones are just as good. The after show gathering really was the icing on the cake, having the opportunity to speak to Pete himself. Special thanks to Steve for all his efforts in keeping this going and Carole for organising the event. Pete did say he never turns gigs down , so maybe we need more invites from the North.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=ods&action=display&num=1240660706&start=77#77   copy 
Seán Kelly
MV Fixture

« Reply #78: 21.09.09 at 22:36 »

Well I must say I had a great time – an excellent set with a huge number of songs including lashings of new stuff (hey they’ve still got it you know!) of which my immediate favourite (perhaps because I have heard it before) was I’ve Got Me To Blame – lovely – found myself humming it/singing it all the next day.  

One of the things I really liked about the show was the way in which Pete changed the rhythm or attack on some of the older songs – a very good example being the Prince of Aquitane – but also on Tenderfoot - both of which Pete played slowed down – with longer gaps between each sung phrase.  It brought to mind Pete’s comment about composing; that when he finds the right rhythm the rest follows. These slight but significant rearrangements are very effective to my ears, allowing the songs a bit more space to breathe and the listener a little more time to reflect. It's as if Pete is still not finished composing these songs despite the fact that he recorded some of them many years ago.  I like this – the recording is just a fixing of how the song was then but in reality the song has gone on developing. I think this is a rare, but welcome, approach in someone who had songs out on record thirty years or so ago – more common is a denial of the past or the overly faithful recreation of it.  

It was a great night and hugely enjoyable. I was very glad that it turned out to be my turn to sit in the front row – although anywhere in that theatre is close to the stage (Snoopy’s pics were taken from the very back – albeit with a v fancy lens!).

A million thanks to Carole for organising, and to Steve, Alexis, Janice and Nedd on the door and everyone else involved in the night and to Pete himself.  Everyone in the audience felt like an old friend – even if you’d never met them before (I liked Ian Sorenson’s comment on the night that he and Leslie must be particularly close friends because they have met 6 times in the last 10 years  Smiley )

My wife Mary enjoyed the night very much as well (phew!  Smiley)
« Last Edit: 21.09.09 at 22:47 by Seán Kelly »     https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=ods&action=display&num=1240660706&start=78#78   copy 
Gerry Smith
MV Fixture

« Reply #79: 22.09.09 at 00:00 »

Sean Wrote (sorry, mental block on the acute accent code) &.?

Quote:
It's as if Pete is still not finished composing these songs despite the fact that he recorded some of them many years ago.  I like this – the recording is just a fixing of how the song was then but in reality the song has gone on developing.

Absolutely so. A work is re-created in every performance even if reading dots. And is a work of art ever finished? I get so pissed off with people who go to a gig and say, "yeah, but he didn't do it like on the album" or even with my covers band, "Hmm, well, Santana doesn't do it like that." I worked out my own sax solo for Billy Joel's Just The Way You Are which worked really well but gave up on it in the end because of this sort of blinkered conservatism and sat down and transcribed the original solo note for note. All the punters love it but it's a tad depressing. They may as well just put a CD on.

I think it's a security/comfort zone thing. People's favourite music becomes a soundtrack for their lives and often they just can't handle the fact that it's done differently. I'm even slightly guilty of the same thing myself. I grew up listening to Pete's stuff through my brother's bedroom wall and the original recordings have great prominence in the soundtrack of my life and nothing can supplant them in my affections. When I hear a new version I don't overwrite the original in my mind, I simply enjoy it in its own right.

Gerry
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=ods&action=display&num=1240660706&start=79#79   copy 

Out playing the saxes
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.