Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 28.03.24 at 22:34 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Facebook: PA/CJ Group changes »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   News
(Moderator: S J Birkill)
   Facebook: PA/CJ Group changes
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Facebook: PA/CJ Group changes  (Read 3198 times)
S J Birkill
MV Administrator

just a sensible reserve

Facebook: PA/CJ Group changes
« : 04.10.20 at 19:38 »

Following a few suggestions from other Forum members, Midnight Voices member Rob Spence volunteered in January 2009 to create a Facebook 'fan' (well, news and discussion) group to serve our shared interest and perhaps help extend its appeal to a younger, more mobile audience whose Internet usage might not include revisiting websites of interest (such as this one) without prompting. (I suspect that, for many who access FB through an 'App', the concept of 'keeping a tab open and refreshing it daily' may be as alien as cassette tapes or black-and-white television).

Rob helmed FB's Pete Atkin and Clive James Appreciation Society for eleven and three-quarter years, gently but firmly guiding old discussions, stimulating new ones, correcting misconceptions and keeping the group's members up to date on news and background pertaining to the Atkin/James song canon and its protagonists. His influence must have steered many to an Atkin gig, a Clive James book or a CD purchase; even the occasional one to MV! The FB group welcomed a total of some 360 members during his tenure.

Now this week Rob has decided, for his own reasons, to resign his Facebook membership and so reluctantly to pass on control of the Group. He has appointed David Nathaniel as the new administrator. I don't know David -- he's not (at least not under that name) a member of MV, new or old, nor can I now find an FB Group post by him. So we'll just have to trust him to curate the Group as wisely as did his predecessor.

One unfortunate consequence of Rob's resignation has been the deletion by Facebook of all his input: FB would almost have us believe he never existed! They've all flown on -- not only threads he initiated, with all their images, comments and replies from other members, but also all replies consequent to his comments on others' posts. What remains is a motley assemblage of disconnected remarks and non sequiturs that can only confuse any newcomer to the Group.

We thank Rob for all his efforts and wish him well with his new ventures, wherever they may lead; and indeed David with his. If you're a Facebook-group-but-non-MV member who's been looking around to find out what's happened over there, and landed here, please be assured that Midnight Voices, Smash Flops and the Pete Atkin Newsletter will continue to operate without change, interruption or deletion, and you're most welcome to join us!

Steve Birkill

Administrator, Midnight Voices
Webmaster, Smash Flops
Editor, The Clive James Website Archive
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=news&action=display&num=1601836721&start=0#0   copy 

Stephen J Birkill
Rob Spence
MV Fixture

Hypertension Kid

Re: Facebook: PA/CJ Group changes
« Reply #1: 10.10.20 at 21:44 »

Thanks for those very kind words, Steve. I am sorry that my posts have disappeared: I hadn't realised that would happen. I will see if there is a way to reinstate them.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=news&action=display&num=1601836721&start=1#1   copy 
S J Birkill
MV Administrator

just a sensible reserve

Re: Facebook: PA/CJ Group changes
« Reply #2: 11.10.20 at 01:42 »

That worked, Rob -- it all makes sense again. Mostly... Smiley

Ta

Steve
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=news&action=display&num=1601836721&start=2#2   copy 

Stephen J Birkill
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.