Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 28.03.24 at 21:47 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Unreliable Memoirs by Clive James (2015) »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Words
(Moderator: Mike Walters)
   Unreliable Memoirs by Clive James (2015)
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Unreliable Memoirs by Clive James (2015)  (Read 4607 times)
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Unreliable Memoirs by Clive James (2015)
« : 23.02.15 at 11:46 »

This an edited extract from P.J. O'Rourke's new introduction to Unreliable Memoirs by Clive James, published by Picador.

PJ O'Rourke hails the reliable memoir of Clive James

February 21, 2015  
P.J. O'Rourke

Art students at work preparing the Orientation Week issue of Honi Soit at the University of Sydney in February 1960. From left, Marie Taylor, Jane Iliff, Madeleine St John and Sue McGowan watch Clive James typing while the editor, David Ferraro, and Helen Goldstein plan other pages.. Photo: Supplied

Quote:
What accounts for Unreliable Memoirs being the best memoir in the world? And by that I mean no backhand compliment. The memoir genre has suffered an over-grown pullulating decadence of bloom in the 35 years since Clive's work was published. One need only be bitten by a shark or fondled by a stepdad to unload one's history upon the reading public. Nowadays to say "best memoir in the world" is almost to say "best fart in an elevator".

But do not blame Clive. His book trails none of the stink of the up-to-date memoir. Especially it has no funk of message — no fetor of " setting goals", no reek of "courageous persistence", no effluvium of "self-acceptance", and none of the fetid compost-heap putrescence of "finding my inner me".

Nor does Clive ever fall back upon that most pathetic trope of storytellers,   "And it really happened." On the contrary Clive starts his preface to Unreliable Memoirs by saying, "Most first novels are disguised autobiographies. This autobiography is a disguised novel." Thus Clive becomes, so far as I know, the first honest memoirist. And, so far as I see, the last

read on

Amazon

Kevin Cryan

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Words&action=display&num=1424692014&start=0#0   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Re: Unreliable Memoirs by Clive James (2015)
« Reply #1: 24.02.15 at 20:32 »

Presenter Harriett Gilbert’s choice for the current edition of BBC Radio 4’s A Good Read

Kevin Cryan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Words&action=display&num=1424692014&start=1#1   copy 
Murray McGlew
MV Feature

I love Midnight Voices!

Re: Unreliable Memoirs by Clive James (2015)
« Reply #2: 05.03.15 at 09:46 »

What a wonderful photo. How impossibly long ago 1960 seems: I wonder where they all are now. Some of them may have been in the book of course.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Words&action=display&num=1424692014&start=2#2   copy 
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.