Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 20.04.24 at 09:42 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « The Ties That Bind You »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Words
(Moderator: Mike Walters)
   The Ties That Bind You
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: The Ties That Bind You  (Read 1757 times)
number_63
Ex-Member

The Ties That Bind You
« : 01.11.04 at 20:39 »

This is another song that has become a real favourite-with one burning question from me re the lyrics.

But first I've searched the archives using the method suggested by Mike in the Commercial traveller thread.

This has brought up acommentary by Sylfest (MV 5626), which I'd 95% agree with.

But also,intriguingly,the exchanges involving Steve and Pete show first that this song is amongst the earliest,was performed at Pete's first solo concert at Sittingbourne in 1969.

More importantly Pete thought that the 1969 version didn't work,partly because he (reckons he) didn't have the emotional maturity at 24 to understand it properly! (5632)

The 69 version was then  described as 'an historical record ' but not for full attention because it was in the nature of ' a rejected first draft ' (5737)

The song was then rewritten (5781)-mainly presumably the music,because the word changes are limited/marginal.

The burning question ( at last) is- so does this song have no literary references at all?

And a less burning question is (possibly because I'm so fond of the song) is whether it would have been a good backdrop on some of the recent tours,evoking the past in a way that much of the extracts from Clive's writing did.  

(incidentally the mental picture I have is that the pennies are on the Stingrays as a means of payment for a few minutes propulsion....is this how it appears to others-I have no real memory of the concept)

regards

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Words&action=display&num=1099341577&start=0#0   copy 
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.