Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 29.03.24 at 11:09 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Members' Top Ten (non-Atkin) Musicians poll »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Music
(Moderator: Ian Chippett)
   Members' Top Ten (non-Atkin) Musicians poll
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Members' Top Ten (non-Atkin) Musicians poll  (Read 5560 times)
David Morgan
MV Feature

Members' Top Ten (non-Atkin) Musicians poll
« : 17.11.06 at 16:28 »

This thread is parallel to the also-new 'Members' Atkin Top Ten': if we launch the two polls I guess they'll best be run together. This discussion started on 'North Face of Soho: A Disproportionate Response', where I said I'd like to know how wide-ranging are the musical tastes of MVs, and Steve suggested re-running Nigel Long's poll from 2000 and also the set-up of this thread. Confused? Join the club....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Ian will rerun the songs poll (it’ll be fascinating to see how Lakeside & Winter Spring gems score against the older recordings), I'll be happy to do the MVs' Chaotic Tastes survey, having suggested it.

I had a look on the Web for heatmapping freeware, but no luck. Anyway, having just seen Nigel's list from 2000, I think it tells the story pretty well. I suggest a small change of method, which probably won't shorten the list much but will, I think, give a clearer idea of who our real favourites are. Also it'll be easy for both voters and analysis engine (me!). As follows:

1. Voters send me the names, in order, of their 10 favourite musicians/bands/composers (same number for all voters, so all get equal weight). Judge 'favourite' according to whose complete recorded output you would most want to take to the proverbial desert island - so think about quantity of good stuff as well as quality.

2. I'll assign scores as follows from each vote: 10 for musician number 1, 9 for number 2, 8 for 3, 7 for 4 & 5, 6 for 6 & 7, and 5 for 8, 9 and 10. (Logic: this seems to reflect my feelings for my favourite versus my 'tenth favourite': i.e. I like the one maybe twice as much as the other, but not ten times as much. Apologies to sensitive souls for this 'reductio ad arithmetic', but the numbers have to be cut one way or another! And if a particular musician regularly comes in as a ninth or tenth favourite, I think this is significant.)

3. I'll publish a table similar to Nigel's, but this time with the voters' choice of world's second-greatest musician at the top....I bet you can hardly wait.

Any comments on this approach?

I hope that Steve will advise on how to get the best response - maybe put both poll invitations up together on the Music Board, with pointers from other Boards?

David M

PS regarding the Music Map that Steve linked & on which others have commented, after some exploration of the site it's clear that Pete's map was based on a very small number of votes (max 3, I'd say), so is not really representative of either an MV or a wider view. I think we can improve on it!
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Music&action=display&num=1163780938&start=0#0   copy 
S J Birkill
MV Administrator

just a sensible reserve

Re: Members' Top Ten (non-Atkin) Musicians poll
« Reply #1: 17.11.06 at 16:36 »

May I suggest that your votes go to David by MV Instant Message, so as to keep this thread clear for discussion?

Steve
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Music&action=display&num=1163780938&start=1#1   copy 

Stephen J Birkill
David Morgan
MV Feature

« Reply #2: 17.11.06 at 16:44 »

I agree Steve's comment above - but please hold any votes until people have had a chance to suggest improvements to my proposal above. Then we could perhaps launch this and Ian's song poll together.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Music&action=display&num=1163780938&start=2#2   copy 
Ian Chippett
MV Moderator

In the clear at over fifty-five

« Reply #3: 17.11.06 at 18:09 »

The problem here is that there are some albums or songs I love while the rest of the musician's (or musicians') output does nothing for me. One example is "In the Land of Grey and Pink" by Caravan which is a fave of mine while almost all of the rest of their output I avoid like the plague. Should I vote for the group or the album? Same goes for Stackridge.  

Also, should we be bothered by genres? Having a butterfly brain, I'm able to rave over Eric Dolphy's "Out To Lunch" as well as Gilbert and Sullivan's operas. Should we limit ourselves to (more or less) pop/folk/rock/jazz?

The rules about the Top Ten will be simpler: I tell you what to do, you vote...

Ian C

Laying down the law in Pantin, France
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Music&action=display&num=1163780938&start=3#3   copy 
Bogus Trumper
MV Fellow

You alone will be my last adventure

« Reply #4: 17.11.06 at 20:17 »

on 17.11.06 at 18:09, Ian Chippett wrote:
The problem here is that there are some albums or songs I love while the rest of the musician's (or musicians') output does nothing for me.  

Laying down the law in Pantin, France
Well, we could double the work )for someone else) by having a "total oevre" list for artists that you like as a whole, and a more eclectic list for "others", where a single album would go to the desert island with you.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Music&action=display&num=1163780938&start=4#4   copy 

And so goodbye, my lady of a night
David Morgan
MV Feature

« Reply #5: 21.11.06 at 18:40 »

Replying to Ian's concern about Caravan, I quote from the proposed rules above: 'Judge favourite according to whose complete recorded output you would most want to take to the proverbial desert island - think about quantity of good stuff as well as quality'. So, Ian, I'm afraid it's decision time on how much you really love Grey & Pink - though of course on the island you could always play beach frisbee with the other Caravan albums!

Maybe the best way out of the agony is as per Bogus's suggestion of a separate favourite albums poll, which could indeed put a different spin on things (no pun intended). If the musicians poll goes well, I'll be happy to run an albums follow-up.

Regarding Ian's other question about genres, I think it was good that last time (Nigel Long's 2000 poll) we saw strong showings from JS Bach & Miles Davis alongside Joni Mitchell & Steely Dan, so I'd like to keep the field broad. Translate 'musician' to 'composer' in the case of the classics, and I think you get reasonable comparability. 'Complete recorded output' then of course gives you the run of the various recordings of a composer's work when making your choices.

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Music&action=display&num=1163780938&start=5#5   copy 
Jim Grozier
MV Feature

The leading young poetic hope of the whole planet

« Reply #6: 22.11.06 at 08:54 »

on 21.11.06 at 18:40, David Morgan wrote:
of course on the island you could always play beach frisbee with the other Caravan albums!

Not the first one, please - it's surely a classic. And besides, it contains a track in 11/8 (I think).

Re polls, this is beginning to look like the sort of "all-time greatest" things you sometimes see in the media - and my problem with that is that the categories are impossibly wide. One day I might vote for a singer/songwriter like Pete/Clive (Philip Jeays springs to mind of course), another day it would be Ravel or Debussy, another day maybe something a bit more political like Leon Rosselson or Robb Johnson, another day maybe something jazzy, or maybe even Caravan ... how can you compare Miles Davis with Joni Mitchell?

So personally I'd prefer to see it restricted to ... well, people in the same sort of genre as Pete & Clive (whatever that is).
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Music&action=display&num=1163780938&start=6#6   copy 
David Morgan
MV Feature

« Reply #7: 22.11.06 at 18:33 »

Jim -  I think the answer's in your final phrase: 'whatever that is'. Because Pete and Clive have always been genre-benders, it's very hard to set valid limits on the types of musician to be included in this poll (just as Nigel didn't six years back). Recently Jeremy Pyner was musing here about how we might get jazz singers to cover Atkin/James songs - quite right, I think. So my view is still that we should keep this poll open too - I think that's partly what makes it more interesting than the newspaper pop polls. Given your own swings through a catholic range of tastes, you might have to put yourself in a Pete Atkin mood before voting!
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Music&action=display&num=1163780938&start=7#7   copy 
Seán Kelly
MV Fixture

« Reply #8: 25.11.06 at 10:59 »

...and part of what makes it interesting (well, to me) is to see how disparate, or not, are PA/CJ admirers musical tastes.  
Seán
[genre-benders - lovely  Cheesy  ]
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Music&action=display&num=1163780938&start=8#8   copy 
S J Birkill
MV Administrator

just a sensible reserve

« Reply #9: 29.11.06 at 21:49 »

Voting in both the new "Atkin songs" and "Favourite musicians" polls, organised by Ian Chippett and David Morgan, has now commenced in a new thread, and all publicly declared votes and discussion of the polls should go there. Accordingly this thread is now closed.  

Please support these initiatives, which should stimulate discussion on the Forum and perhaps help us promote Pete's music to a wider audience. Go HERE right now, for polling instructions and to cast your votes.

Steve
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Music&action=display&num=1163780938&start=9#9   copy 

Stephen J Birkill
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.