Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 28.03.24 at 11:38 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Russell Davies on Radio »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Chums
(Moderator: Cary)
   Russell Davies on Radio
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Russell Davies on Radio  (Read 10239 times)
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Russell Davies on Radio
« : 29.09.10 at 06:24 »

Listen out for:

Wednesday October 6

BBC Radio 2 10.00pm

Jazz on Record, the first of a new ten-part series, Jazz Junctions, presented by the English trumpeter and composer Guy Barker,  which explores the history of jazz and charts some of the key moments that have changed the genre's evolution,  as well as showing how social and cultural changes helped to determine the way the music developed.

In this first programme, Barker takes the listener back to the New Orleans of February 1917 and the release of the very first jazz record, Livery Stable Blues by the Original Dixieland Jazz Band.  

Interviews with Dick Hyman, Jimmy LaRocca, Ted Gioia and Scott Yanow, together with archive recordings of Jelly Roll Morton and cornettist Nick LaRocca, are used to explain why that particular February may be considered so important  

The series, not that you could tell from most of the advance publicity I’ve seen so far  has been written by Russell Davies with  some help from Jazzwise’s Brian Priestley and Observer jazz writer Dave Gelly.

Kevin Cryan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Chums&action=display&num=1285737874&start=0#0   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Re: Russell Davies on Radio
« Reply #1: 24.09.13 at 19:00 »

First, the bad news. Russell's programme "celebrating the art, craft and inspiration of the popular song" on a Sunday evening is broadcast for the last time on on Sunday the 29th.

In an interview with The Telegraph, Russell has said:

Quote:
People like me, in the BBC local radio firmament as well, are disappearing. I don’t think age has a lot to do with it. I think it is the kind of song. The well written song that was pioneered by the likes of Irving Berlin, Cole Porter and the Gershwin duo. It is more [to do with] that catalogue: I don’t know what [Radio 2] have got against that. I think there’s a risk that the longer memory of music is being lost from the station … It’s a complete waste.

Now for the (semi)good news. Russell returns on the 2nd of December for the first (of two?) thirteen week runs to be broadcast on Mondays at 11pm. As far as I know, the format for the programmes has yet to be finalised.

Kevin Cryan
« Last Edit: 24.09.13 at 19:20 by Kevin Cryan »     https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Chums&action=display&num=1285737874&start=1#1   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #2: 24.09.13 at 20:23 »

UPDATE

Radio Today

Quote:

Russell Davies’ show will move to Monday nights for 26 weeks a year, with Jools Holland returning for the remainder.

A "move" suggests tha the format will remain the same, and I'm quite convinced that I read somewhere that this is not the case.

Kevin Cryan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Chums&action=display&num=1285737874&start=2#2   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #3: 27.11.13 at 15:01 »

Commencing Monday December 2rd..

Monday 11pm - 12am

BBC Radio 2
Russell Davies With..

•      Series 1

Series 1 - 1/13. Natalie Cole

New series. The broadcaster interviews stars of music, art, comedy and film, beginning with soul and jazz singer Natalie Cole, the daughter of Nat King Cole.

Series 1 - 2/13. Steven Berkoff

Actor, director and playwright Steven Berkoff chats about his work in film and television,...

Kevin Cryan
« Last Edit: 27.11.13 at 15:11 by Kevin Cryan »     https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Chums&action=display&num=1285737874&start=3#3   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #4: 27.11.13 at 20:06 »

on 27.11.13 at 15:01, Kevin Cryan wrote:
Commencing Monday December 2rd..

Monday 11pm - 12am

BBC Radio 2
Russell Davies With..

•      Series 1

New series. The broadcaster interviews stars of music, art, comedy and film, beginning with soul and jazz singer Natalie Cole, the daughter of Nat King Cole.

Actor, director and playwright Steven Berkoff chats about his work in film and television,...

Kevin Cryan

Russell Davies With

This brand-new series sees Russell Davies interview A-list legends of music, art, comedy and film.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 2 December
11.00pm-12 midnight
BBC RADIO 2

Natalie grew up into a very musical family. Recording from an early age with her father Nat King Cole, she managed to forge her own solo success in later years with the hit single This Will Be (An Everlasting Love), numerous best-selling albums and Grammy Awards. Natalie also recently performed in London at the recent Bluesfest festival.
She shares her memories with Russell, with music spanning from her early years to her most recent release Natalie Cole En Espanol.

Presenter/ Russell Davies, Producer/ Sarah Cropper for Wise Buddah Creative

BBC Radio 2 Publicity

______________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 9 December
11.00pm-12 midnight
BBC RADIO 2

Steven began his career in the late 1950s and has gone on to achieve worldwide acclaim both on screen and on stage. Some of his most prolific credits include Shakespeare and Kafka, as well as Hollywood films A Clockwork Orange and Octopussy. Berkoff has also made a name for himself as a director and playwright, including his most recent original works Religion and Anarchy and Greek.
Steven shares his stories from the stage with Russell, with music inspired by his career.

Presenter/ Russell Davies, Producer/ Sarah Cropper for Wise Buddah Creative

BBC Radio 2 Publicity

Kevin Cryan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Chums&action=display&num=1285737874&start=4#4   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #5: 26.11.14 at 19:55 »

Russell is back next week, doing what he does best.

The Art of Artists

Monday

11pm to 12pm
BBC Radio 2

About this programme

1/13. Broadcaster Russell Davies returns to interview more stars of music, art, comedy and film about their lives and work, alongside soundtracks inspired by their careers. His first guest is singer Sandie Shaw, who was just 17 when she has a number one hit in 1967 with (There's) Always Something There to Remind Me.

Presenter
Russell Davies

Sandie Shaw

Producer
Sara Sesard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Songs and Shows of World War 1

Tuesday

10pm - 11pm
BBC Radio 2

About this programme

1/5. New series. Russell Davies examines the music industry's reaction to the events of the Great War. He begins by exploring how stage shows reflected the world situation in 1914 and revealing what the troops were whistling as they marched to war.

Presenter
Russell Davies

Producer
Clare Chadburn

Kevin Cryan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Chums&action=display&num=1285737874&start=5#5   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #6: 02.12.14 at 11:34 »

The Art of Artists  

Series 3 Episode 1 of 13
Russell Davies returns with a new series of The Art of Artists, interviewing A-list legends of music, art, comedy and film. This week, Russell is in conversation with singer Sandie Shaw......

Play 4 weeks left to listen  

Kevin Cryan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Chums&action=display&num=1285737874&start=6#6   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #7: 05.12.14 at 21:28 »

on 26.11.14 at 19:55, Kevin Cryan wrote:
Russell is back next week, doing what he does best.

The Songs and Shows of World War 1

Tuesday

10pm - 11pm
BBC Radio 2

About this programme

1/5. New series. Russell Davies examines the music industry's reaction to the events of the Great War. He begins by exploring how stage shows reflected the world situation in 1914 and revealing what the troops were whistling as they marched to war.

Presenter
Russell Davies

Producer
Clare Chadburn

Kevin Cryan

Correction

Clare Chadburn is credited as producer of this programme. However it is the redoubtable Roy Oakshott, Russell's longtime collaborator, whom Russell credits a producer at the end of this specific programme. I imagine that the confusion may have arisen because Clare may will turn out later to have been a supervising producer for what is to be a five year series.

Listen 4 weeks left to listen.

Kevin Cryan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Chums&action=display&num=1285737874&start=7#7   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #8: 01.07.17 at 21:05 »

Russell is back on BBC Radio 2 with a new six-part series The Russell Davies Archive.

Quote:
Classic tracks and forgotten gems from the 1920s, 30s and 40s

The Archive is a celebration of masterpieces and forgotten gems from the 1920's,30's and 40's . Recordings which saw the great stars of popular music and instrumentalists of the day stepping up to the microphone and perform exactly what we hear today with no way of correcting errors or eccentricities. In this programme we enjoy tracks from The Boswell Sisters, Fats Waller, Bing Crosby and the unique sounds of Whispering Jack Smith from this archive as Russell Davies opens up that glorious hinterland of older music, incidentally playable now in far better sound quality than was available at the time.

Programme 1/6 (broadcast on Monday 26 June 2017 23.00) is here

Programme 2/6 ( to be broadcast on Monday 03 July 2017 23.00) here

Kevin Cryan

I still cannot get over the fact that we lost The Song Show four years ago.  The show in which discussed in some depth popular songs, most of which came from the first six decades of the 20th century, but not all of them well known " Davies talking about the  history, structure, writers, singers, arrangers.... was" as The Telegraph's radio critic Gillian Reynolds  wrote at the end of 2013 " a real joy".

Having listened to the first episode of this series, I can say that at least some of the virtues of TSS have been restored.

Kevin Cryan

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Chums&action=display&num=1285737874&start=8#8   copy 
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.