Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 20.04.24 at 09:20 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Bernie Andrews (Aug 1933 - June 2010) »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Chums
(Moderator: Cary)
   Bernie Andrews (Aug 1933 - June 2010)
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Bernie Andrews (Aug 1933 - June 2010)  (Read 5380 times)
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Bernie Andrews (Aug 1933 - June 2010)
« : 21.07.10 at 10:49 »

The producer of Pete Atkin's first BBC Radio Session, and the man whose proud boast it was that he'd produced The Beatles first radio recording and first Radio Session, Bernie Andrews, died on the 11th of June this year.  

One would have thought that the passing of such a key figure in popular culture – and he  undoubtedly was that - might attracted much more attention than it has, but then, since the job of persuading BBC bigwigs to give The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, John Peel or any of the other people he championed in the 1960s or 1970s airspace is not by its nature terribly glamorous, he probably was never destined to be famous enough to have his absence felt.  

Annie Nightingale's obituary in today's edition of The Guardian, written as it is by someone with first-hand experience of how important Bernie and his lke are, and were,  in setting some standards for the broadcast of popular music at Radio 1, goes somewhere towards reminding us just how important a man like Bernie really was.    

Kevin Cryan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Chums&action=display&num=1279705792&start=0#0   copy 
Ian Ashleigh
MV Fixture

Carnations on the Roof

Re: Bernie Andrews (Aug 1933 - June 2010)
« Reply #1: 24.07.10 at 12:37 »

I remember hearing Bernie Andrews' name throught the 1970s as Producer on BBC radio and I'm sure that he shared production duties with Jeff Griffin for Radio 1 In Concert recorded at The Paris Theatre, Lower Regent Street that my brother was on the ticket list for and where we saw (for free) a number of headline and not so headline acts through the late 1970s.  

Sadly I did not see Pete Atkin perfom there it was probably just too late.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Chums&action=display&num=1279705792&start=1#1   copy 

Though he had no great gifts of personality or mind, he was quite well respected.
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.