Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 28.03.24 at 20:40 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « The Pheasantry 17th March with Simon Wallace »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Gigs
(Moderator: Gerry Smith)
   The Pheasantry 17th March with Simon Wallace
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: The Pheasantry 17th March with Simon Wallace  (Read 9780 times)
Seán Kelly
MV Fixture

The Pheasantry 17th March with Simon Wallace
« : 18.03.17 at 11:36 »

Setlist (believed to be accurate – but I kept forgetting to make notes so you never know…)

1. The Way You Are
2. Luck of the Draw
3. The Beautiful Changes
4. I Wouldn’t Hear A Word Against The Spring  
5. We Will Live Again
6. Touch has a Memory
7. The Last Hill
8. The Trophies of My Lovers Gone
9. Time To Burn
10. Thirty Year Man

INTERVAL

1. The King is Dead (That Was The Way To Be Alive)
2. I See The Joker
3. Perfect Moments
4. Nothing Left To Say
5. The Hollow and The Fluted Night
6. Carnations on the Roof
7. The Flowers and The Wine
8. The Colours of the Night
9. All I Ever Did – and straight into
10. Laughing Boy
Encores:
11. Sunrise
12. Girl On The Train

Well the general concensus* was that this one was even better than the last Pheasantry gig. Pete was in as good a form as I have ever seen him, if anything more relaxed and confident than before.  

Simon Wallace was absolutely on the spot in exactly the way you would want him to be, creating a perfect setting, fitting round the vocal lines and occasionally taking off for perfect tumbling solos.  

The setlist included a number of rarely (or in one case, never) played songs.  Pete played the first two songs of the second set on his own, on piano.  Otherwise he played guitar or just sang while Simon accompanied on piano.  Sometimes rocking to great effect eg on The Last Hill, and yet it was some of the quieter songs which made the most impact on me.  At certain points the combination of Pete’s voice and Simon’s piano was so delicate and so right that a sensation of time itself slowing down crept over me, for example in the coda to the Hollow and the Fluted Night…”and what goodbyes are more alone than this?”

The Pheasantry itself remains a delight, especially because the sound seems to be so excellent.  

Pete made reference to the jazz singer Bob Dorough (Simon Wallace is accompanying him tonight, 18th March, at the Pizza Express in Dean Street) who is still performing at the age of 94, and suggested that this meant he might have a few more years of performing himself. Let’s hope so. As far as I am concerned these gigs could be rerun every month or two - and on out of sight - and I’d be booked up.  What a great night.  Thanks Pete! Thanks Simon!

Hmm - looks like he's clocked me in this one !

*NB in this case ‘the general concensus’ was formed by me and Sylfest chatting briefly in the Gents toilet afterwards – other opinions may be available!  Smiley
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1489833382&start=0#0   copy 
Carole
MV Fixture

Re: The Pheasantry 17th March with Simon Wallace
« Reply #1: 18.03.17 at 18:05 »

What a splendid review,  Seán! Good photos and it's really nice to get some feel of the atmosphere too. I was hoping I could rely on you - and I could! You're an ace chap Mr Kelly. But then I always knew that.  Smiley
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1489833382&start=1#1   copy 
Keith Busby
MV Fixture

« Reply #2: 18.03.17 at 18:10 »

Good job, Seán! Greetings from TrumpWorld.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1489833382&start=2#2   copy 

Commit THAT to Your Fragrant Memory!
Seán Kelly
MV Fixture

« Reply #3: 18.03.17 at 18:36 »

Cheers Keith! - and mutual appreciation society with you Carole [sorry everyone else Smiley
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1489833382&start=3#3   copy 
S J Birkill
MV Administrator

just a sensible reserve

« Reply #4: 20.03.17 at 19:39 »

Here are the hand-held front row videos Seán shot on Friday. I've placed them all on my YouTube channel, to make then easier to find and link to for those who aren't MV members:

The Last Hill That Shows You All The Valley

The King Is Dead

Nothing Left To Say

All I Ever Did; Laughing Boy

Sunrise  

Many a thank to Seán!
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1489833382&start=4#4   copy 

Stephen J Birkill
Pete Atkin
MV Deity

« Reply #5: 09.04.17 at 18:44 »

A belated but exceptionally large and sincere thank to everyone who came and who made such a generous audience.  As you know, this was my second visit to the Pheasantry and it was particularly good to go in this time with the good experience of last November's gig, not least that the piano and the sound are so good there.   I already knew, of course, what a plus it had been - and would be again - to work with Simon Wallace.   An additional piece of good news for me is that they have already asked me about my availability for another one in a few months' time, so I hope to have news about a third booking before too long.  Meanwhile, thank you all again.  Here's to the next time.

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1489833382&start=5#5   copy 
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.