Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 20.04.24 at 12:38 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « The Stables, Wavendon - Fri 4th April 2008 »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Gigs
(Moderator: Gerry Smith)
   The Stables, Wavendon - Fri 4th April 2008
Pages: 1 2 3   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: The Stables, Wavendon - Fri 4th April 2008  (Read 28977 times)
naomi
MV Fixture

I love Midnight Voices!

Re: The Stables, Wavendon - Fri 4th April 2008
« Reply #40: 06.04.08 at 20:36 »

Many thanks, Jan, for your characteristically full and accurate report on what was a highly enjoyable evening ...

And my especially grateful thanks to Leslie and his sister Shirley, to whom this time fell the dubious privilege of driving me back to London in time for the last Tube home and waiting outside the station to make sure that I hadn't missed it. (... After the Newbury gig that signal honour went to Cathy and Geoff !)  

Yes, I did get that train, Leslie !  

Naomi
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1200321674&start=40#40   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #41: 07.04.08 at 08:00 »

on 06.04.08 at 17:51, Jan wrote:
Sarah Moule opened the proceedings, I enjoyed her set very much. The items were taken from her new CD A Lazy Kind of Love ..........

You'll just have to buy the CD to see what you think!  

Jan

(In snowy Yorkshire)

It can be bought online from Red Ram Records

Jan omitted to mention that Sarah is launching it at the 606 Club Chelsea on  
April the 23rd.  

Quote:
......Another night you've been to visit me and him comes to an end.

you wondered how this was going to work. It did work beautifully, turning the song inside out and adding a whole load of possible new interpretations. Leslie has just mentioned one possibility. I would suggest another, the partner's friend, invited initially because he's lonely, new to the area, ...

Jan

(In snowy Yorkshire)

While I agree that Sarah's version of The Flowers and The Wine is very fine indeed, I have to say the version as written contains within it a few more interesting possibilities than the amended version does.

For example, there is the possibility that the whole affair is in the mind of the speaker, that he thinks that the lady in question is arranging tête-à-têtes, when in fact she merely trying to keep a friendship going.  

The is also the possibility that she is something of a femme fatale who enjoys having more than one admirer at a time.  

Both of those interpretations, and indeed others that suggest themselves, make the protagonist a more interesting - not to say more disturbing - character than he is in the revision.  

I believe that the the song is Clive and Pete's majestically successful attempt to achieve what Johnny Mercer and Harold Arlen achieved with One for My Baby (and One More for the Road), and I'd argue strongly that to to make it easier to interpret is to somehow diminish that achievement.  

Kevin Cryan

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1200321674&start=41#41   copy 
S J Birkill
MV Administrator

just a sensible reserve

« Reply #42: 07.04.08 at 09:13 »

on 06.04.08 at 17:51, Jan wrote:
BTW Sarah Moule's CD also includes Pete Atkin singing harmony vocals on one track 'Living In Overdrive'
Jan
(In snowy Yorkshire)

on 07.04.08 at 08:00, Kevin Cryan wrote:
It can be bought online from Red Ram Records

Recommended: Pete's vocal contribution on this song is substantial, and it drives along nicely. And some of the other numbers are greatly enhanced by Alan Barnes' saxes, which on Friday we just had to imagine. As consolation, those of us present were able to buy a prerelease CD-R copy of the album, A Lazy Kind of Love.

Steve
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1200321674&start=42#42   copy 

Stephen J Birkill
Jan
MV Fellow

« Reply #43: 09.04.08 at 17:38 »

One thing I noticed at Wavendon was the number of people in the audience who knew the songs well. There was very little reaction to the jokes in the songs, usually a dead giveaway.  
Were there a lot of Voices there who are just lurking and not posting? I'd be interested to know. Or perhaps there are just more Atkin fans around  Smiley

Better go and update that spreadsheet.
Jan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1200321674&start=43#43   copy 
Pages: 1 2 3    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.