Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 28.03.24 at 10:20 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « CJ on The One Show -- from 'Things Happening Now' »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   News
(Moderator: S J Birkill)
   CJ on The One Show -- from 'Things Happening Now'
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: CJ on The One Show -- from 'Things Happening Now'  (Read 7751 times)
S J Birkill
MV Administrator

just a sensible reserve

CJ on The One Show -- from 'Things Happening Now'
« : 02.04.08 at 09:25 »

I've started this thread to take the follow-on discussion which has arisen from sjm's timely notification of Clive's imminent (yesterday) appearance on this show. Steve announced this, quite correctly, in the adjacent Alerts -- Things Happening Now thread.

The purpose of that thread is to carry just such concise but urgent announcements of events that members might otherwise miss. As such I've recommended that members set 'e-mail notification' for it, along with our similar 'Announcements' thread.

Normal forum usage places follow-up discussions in the same thread as the stimulating message -- such is the definition of a 'thread', but in this particular case I'm asking members to start a new thread for follow-ons, for the simple reason that if normal forum chat appears under 'Things Happening Now', each message will be delivered also by e-mail to those who have opted for notification, diluting the value of the special thread and ultimately causing them to turn off this useful feature.

I'm sorry I don't have any cleverer way of reserving 'Things Happening Now' for fresh announcements only -- it has to remain freely postable to be of any use. So all, please understand my moving the chat here, and please don't anyone take it personally or IM me or anything -- it ain't like that, it's just Admin duties!

Steve
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=news&action=display&num=1207124748&start=0#0   copy 

Stephen J Birkill
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Re: Alerts -- things happening now
« Reply #1: 01.04.08 at 12:52 »

on 01.04.08 at 11:45, sjm wrote:

Clive is on The One Show tonight

The One Show is broadcast weekdays at 7..00pm on BBC One

Kevin Cryan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=news&action=display&num=1207124748&start=1#1   copy 
naomi
MV Fixture

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #2: 01.04.08 at 13:33 »

Thanks, chaps !
N
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=news&action=display&num=1207124748&start=2#2   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #3: 01.04.08 at 14:46 »

on 01.04.08 at 13:33, naomi wrote:
Thanks, chaps !
N

We try keep up the standards set by the Hillside Music Customer Service Department.  

Kevin Cryan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=news&action=display&num=1207124748&start=3#3   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #4: 02.04.08 at 06:58 »

on 01.04.08 at 12:52, Kevin Cryan wrote:

The One Show is broadcast weekdays at 7..00pm on BBC One

Kevin Cryan

Hey. it was always a tall order to expect Clive James to get  anything serious said about Cultural Amnesia, the upcoming Claerwen James exhibition, and Pete Atkin's Midnight Voices on the chaotically conceived and executed half hour that is The One Show. and especially while the unstoppable Margarita Pracatan is being encouraged to do her thing in the background.

Kevin Cryan

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=news&action=display&num=1207124748&start=4#4   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #5: 02.04.08 at 08:42 »

on 02.04.08 at 06:58, Kevin Cryan wrote:

Hey. it was always a tall order to expect Clive James to get  anything serious said about Cultural Amnesia, the upcoming Claerwen James exhibition, and Pete Atkin's Midnight Voices on the chaotically conceived and executed half hour that is The One Show. and especially while the unstoppable Margarita Pracatan is being encouraged to do her thing in the background.

Kevin Cryan

I'm happy to report that  hubbub didn’t spoil one person's viewing.  

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Snatched Conversions: Pete Atkin

Published April 1st, 2008 in Writing | Autobiography | Pete Atkin

...what about Pete Atkin’s Master Of The Revels? Lyrics by Clive James (who was on the BBC’s The One Show tonight, which reminded me of it). By a complete coincidence, I learnt tonight, when I found Pete Atkin’s web site, that it was actually recorded on 1st April 1970 - exactly 38 years ago today! Spooky.

I’ve ordered Midnight Voices from Hillside Records (via Pete’s site) - Clive mentioned it on The One Show, and I rushed to order it. £10 + £1 postage. Thought it was new material, but discovered after ordering it that it’s re-makes of existing songs. But it’ll be good to hear Pete’s voice nearly 40 years on from how I’ve always heard him, singing those fantastically evocative Clive James lyrics.

Met Pete, in the mid-70s at Hackney Hospital Radio. A Hackney-born lad himself, he came in one night for what was supposed to be a short interview and stayed for the whole night’s shows. We all knew of him through Cuddly Ken* playing Pete’s quirky Master of the Revels and we’d all really appreciated its musical originality and lyrical quality, going on to buy all his albums. He didn’t let us down - he was as entertaining and erudite as his songs, and friendly and open to boot. He treated us as serious broadcasters, and we loved having a real musical hero in our midst to worship. I hope we made him feel as special as he made us feel.

He’d recently written a stage play about, as I recall, the cynical side of the music business, and it was being performed in a little theatre in Hackney, just around the corner from the hospital. My hospital radio mate Graham Coles and I went to see it one evening. I remember almost nothing about it now, save that Pete had written a part for himself - as a sound engineer, who said virtually nothing and just sat in the corner reading the paper and smoking. He said he knew he was a rotten actor so he didn’t want to speak too much and spoil the flow, but he thought he had to include himself on the basis that if he was going to ask other actors to appear live on stage in a play that might bomb, he ought to be up there to suffer the indignity along with them. Actually, I can’t be sure he really said that. I may be confusing the true and the real again.

But anyway - I heard some years later, now some years ago, that he was Head Of Light Something Or Other for the BBC in the west - based in Bristol, I seem to recall. But I might be imagining that too.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Kevin Cryan

*Kenny Everett (KC)
« Last Edit: 02.04.08 at 08:56 by Kevin Cryan »     https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=news&action=display&num=1207124748&start=5#5   copy 
S J Birkill
MV Administrator

just a sensible reserve

Re: CJ on The One Show (from Alerts Only)
« Reply #6: 02.04.08 at 09:53 »

on 02.04.08 at 08:42, Kevin Cryan wrote:
...what about Pete Atkin's Master Of The Revels? Lyrics by Clive James (who was on the BBC's The One Show tonight, which reminded me of it). By a complete coincidence, I learnt tonight, when I found Pete Atkin's web site, that it was actually recorded on 1st April 1970 - exactly 38 years ago today! Spooky.

- Kevin here quotes blogger Bob Kingsley, who recounts an early meeting with Pete. This is the very same Bob Kingsley, radio presenter, Kenny Everett (as DJ) fan and voice-over artist, listed as an ex-member of our MV e-mail list (not to be confused with the similarly-named Bob Kingston, who's still an MV).

Bob Kingsley was one of MV's earliest members (1997) and as such might be forgiven for stating that he's just discovered our Website -- we're none of us as young as we used to be! -- and not realising that Pete has released two CDs of new material, still available, since the revival began. Read his fascinating maiden post in our MV e-mail list Year 1 archive*.

SJB

PS: But thanks for the mention, Bob!

*Public formatted version here.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=news&action=display&num=1207124748&start=6#6   copy 

Stephen J Birkill
Bob Kingsley
MV Fresher

I've been here before - 11 years ago!

Re: CJ on The One Show -- from 'Things Happening Now'
« Reply #7: 02.04.08 at 16:19 »

... and, indeed, here I am, back again. Where does the time go?

After publishing the above-referred post on my blog last night, this morning I idly Googled “Hackney Hospital Radio” (in the quotation marks) to see what came up, and only two items were listed (almost, but not quite, a Googlewhack) — my own post from the night before and, from this very forum, a digest of the posts made in December eleven years ago.

I was amazed to discover that I'd posted something here on Tuesday 9th December 1997. I had no memory of composing it. It’s also eerily similar to last night’s blog post, referring as it does to Kenny Everett and to Pete’s same visit to Hackney Hospital Radio. There really is nothing new under the sun.

I find it extraordinary that my original comment, the writing of which has long been erased from my own internal memory, has been retained for posterity out here in this little corner of the digital domain. It'll probably survive long after my physical demise. Truly, in this digital age we have become, in some senses at least, immortal beings …

I hope, Steve, you don't mind me having copied my 1997 MV post into my blog as a comment on my own post about PA, since the words were mine in the first place. Even if I don't recall writing them!  

I was also surprised to discover that, amongst the billions of pages logged by Google, I am the only person who appears to have ever mentioned "Hackney Hospital Radio". I can only assume that it must've fallen by the wayside some time ago and, further, that it's completely slipped the minds of anyone else who ever worked there and who now has access to the wunnerful world wide web where, I'd've thought, someone other than me might have referred to it. Perhaps I just made it all up. That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Hey. It's good to be back.

Then again, maybe I never really went away.

'Somerset' Bob Kingsley
www.bobkingsley.co.uk/blog
« Last Edit: 02.04.08 at 16:45 by Bob Kingsley »     https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=news&action=display&num=1207124748&start=7#7   copy 

'Somerset' Bob Kingsley
Bob Kingsley
MV Fresher

I've been here before - 11 years ago!

Re: CJ on The One Show -- from 'Things Happening Now'
« Reply #8: 02.04.08 at 17:24 »

Hmm. I see now from his Wikipedia entry that Pete wasn't born in Hackney, as I suggested in my blog post, but Cambridge. As I said, I'm prone to making things up when the fancy takes me and that just proves it.

Perhaps I was confusing him with Julie Covington.

Oh - and one other thing I've discovered today, courtesy of Wikipedia, is that the Master of the Revels was, once upon a time, a real job position within the British royal household ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_the_Revels ). And I thought Clive made it up.

It's been quite a day for discoveries  Smiley
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=news&action=display&num=1207124748&start=8#8   copy 

'Somerset' Bob Kingsley
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.