Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 29.03.24 at 01:21 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Return of the Hoarse Foreman »
   Midnight Voices
   Not Pete Atkin
   Off-topic
(Moderator: S J Birkill)
   Return of the Hoarse Foreman
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Return of the Hoarse Foreman  (Read 5092 times)
Mike Walters
MV Fixture

Return of the Hoarse Foreman
« : 06.07.08 at 16:18 »

Off-topic, but I imagine of interest to many on here.  I can't imagine how I've not discovered until now that Randy Newman has a new CD, Harps and Angels, out on 4 August.  That's a proper new CD.  With new original songs.  The first such since Bad Love, nine years ago.  Apologies if you already knew, but since the news has managed to by-pass me until now, I thought it was worth drawing to your collective attention.  

Mike
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1215357535&start=0#0   copy 
Ian Chippett
MV Fellow

In the clear at over fifty-five

Re: Return of the Hoarse Foreman
« Reply #1: 07.07.08 at 13:29 »

Mike wrote:

<< I can't imagine how I've not discovered until now that Randy Newman has a new CD, Harps and Angels, out on 4 August.  That's a proper new CD.  With new original songs.  The first such since Bad Love, nine years ago. >>

Nine years already? Another sign of getting old (like football referees and policeman seeming to be younger than you) must be when Randy Newman CDs appear to come out more and more frequently. I see from the list of titles that it includes "Feels Like Home" which must be the same song as on "Faust," one of those great songs he comes up with using the simplest and commonly-used chords. A real master.  

Ian C
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1215357535&start=1#1   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #2: 13.07.08 at 17:49 »

on 07.07.08 at 13:29, Ian Chippett wrote:
Mike wrote:

............ I see from the list of titles that it includes "Feels Like Home" which must be the same song as on "Faust," one of those great songs he comes up with using the simplest and commonly-used chords. A real master.  

Ian C

It is indeed the very same song. You can hear Bonnie Raitt sing it as it was intended to be sung, if you can get hold of Randy Newman's Faust (1993 Concept Cast) album, not the easiest task in the world, believe me.  

Probably the most often heard version of the song is Chantal Kreviazuk’s cover version which she recorded for the soundtrack of the the television teen-drama Dawson’s Creek, and which was subsequently used on the soundtrack of the romantic comedy How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days.  

For those who may not have ready access to it, here is Tim Adams’ review of Harps and Angels for current edition of the The Observer Music Monthly.

If you'd rather listen to Newman, here he is performing a live version A Few Words in Defence of Our Country, one of the songs from the album.  

Kevin Cryan

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1215357535&start=2#2   copy 
Ian Chippett
MV Fellow

In the clear at over fifty-five

« Reply #3: 15.09.08 at 20:23 »

Well, what do the rest of you make of it (it's been out for a while now)? I think he just gets better and better even though he only has about three basic songs as well as a vocal range similar to my own.  

Ian C
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1215357535&start=3#3   copy 
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.