Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 28.03.24 at 20:22 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « George Ross Goobey  (Dec. 1945-Feb. 2008) »
   Midnight Voices
   Not Pete Atkin
   Off-topic
(Moderator: S J Birkill)
   George Ross Goobey  (Dec. 1945-Feb. 2008)
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: George Ross Goobey  (Dec. 1945-Feb. 2008)  (Read 6871 times)
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

George Ross Goobey  (Dec. 1945-Feb. 2008)
« : 08.02.08 at 19:50 »

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Obituary  

Alastair Ross Goobey  
Last Updated: 2:31am GMT 08/02/2008

Extract

Ross Goobey: ‘jolly glad’ not to
have become a politician

.........Alastair Ross Goobey was born in London on December 6 1945, and was brought up in Somerset. His father, George Ross Goobey, was the in-house actuary of the Imperial Tobacco pension fund, based in Bristol, who took the revolutionary decision in the early 1950s to switch his fund out of the low-yielding gilt-edged stocks in which all pension funds were traditionally held into higher-yielding equities - earning himself the nickname, among City columnists, of "archdeacon of the equity cult" and effectively kick-starting a long upward curve of share values.

Alastair was educated at Marlborough and Trinity College, Cambridge, where he read Economics, acted with the Footlights, and played the clarinet (notably at Clive James's wedding)......

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am posting this without comment for the very simple reason that although I have read about the George Ross Goobey in the buisness pages of various newspapers, I have only been able to find one reference to his assocation with the "Footlights crowd"* and that not enough for me to say for certain that he acted with them or that he played clarinet at Clive's wedding.

Kevin Cryan

*"......... HIS fondness for attention, according to a friend, stems from his days at Cambridge where his contemporaries included Clive James and the Footlights crowd. He still likes to perform, has taken part in radio panel games and is also part of a North London choir. "There is a group of us - reasonable amateur musicians - that perform Handel Oratoria," he says"...... Sunday Herald, The,  Jul 18, 1999  by Quentin Sommerville City Editor
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1202500237&start=0#0   copy 
Jan
MV Fellow

Re: George Ross Goobey  (Dec. 1945-Feb. 2008)
« Reply #1: 08.02.08 at 20:35 »

In a profile in the Independent Jan 30 1994:

He was born in London just after the Second World War and brought up in Somerset. After public school (Marlborough), he read economics at Cambridge and achieved an unexceptional 2.2. Most of his energies went into music and drama: he was a member of Footlights, appearing in the 1968 Revue with Julie Covington. Clive James was another contemporary and Ross Goobey played the clarinet at his wedding.

He's in the cast list for Turns of the century  

Jan

BTW the Smash Flops link to Under plain cover gives that lovely error 404. Please don't mend it too quickly Steve, its good to see it again  Smiley
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1202500237&start=1#1   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #2: 08.02.08 at 22:39 »

on 08.02.08 at 20:35, Jan wrote:
In a profile in the Independent Jan 30 1994:

..... he read economics at Cambridge and achieved an unexceptional 2.2. ......

Jan

He certainly made up for his undistinguished academic performance by a very distingusihed performance in his working life.

Kevin  

on 08.02.08 at 20:35, Jan wrote:

He's in the cast list for Turns of the century  

Jan

How did I miss that one? You are obviously a more patient researcher than I am - or was on this occasion.  

Kevin

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1202500237&start=2#2   copy 
Jan
MV Fellow

« Reply #3: 08.02.08 at 23:51 »

on 08.02.08 at 22:39, Kevin Cryan wrote:

You are obviously a more patient researcher than I am  

Thank you Kevin
As with most people my patience is proportional to my interest,  
Quote:
- or was on this occasion.

but I admit that on this occasion I knew exactly where to look.
Jan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1202500237&start=3#3   copy 
Pete Atkin
MV Deity

Re: Alistair Ross Goobey  (Dec. 1945-Feb. 200
« Reply #4: 10.02.08 at 18:00 »

Yes, I remember Alistair Ross Goobey Well. He played clarinet in the Footlights band for 'Turns of the Century' in 1968, during the run of which Clive got married at the Shire Hall in Cambridge.  The assembled and already merry company (Clive having had the inspiration to give a party *before* the ceremony) were accompanied rowdily and chaotically through the streets to the wedding breakfast (i.e. lunch) by an ad hoc marching band which comprised me and Al Sizer on guitars, Dai (later Russell) Davies on trombone, and Alistair R-G, and maybe someone else, who knows?  There's a picture of Clive and Prue in A First Folio taken on that very occasion.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1202500237&start=4#4   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Re: Alistair Ross Goobey  (Dec. 1945-Feb. 200
« Reply #5: 10.02.08 at 19:31 »

on 10.02.08 at 18:00, Pete Atkin wrote:

...There's a picture of Clive and Prue in A First Folio taken on that very occasion.

I presume that one that appears alongside Clive’s 2005 poem, Anniversary Serenade*, is an edited version of the one you are referring to.

Clivejames.com

If not, it is, I believe, an editing of one taken on the same day.

Kevin Cryan

*Anniversary Serenade

You are my alcohol and nicotine,
My silver flask and cigarette machine.
You watch and scratch my back, you scrub me clean.
I mumble but you still know what I mean.
Know what I mean?
You read my thoughts, you see what I have seen.  

You are my egg-flip and my ego trip,
My passion-fruit soufflé and strawberry whip.
When the dawn comes to catch you on the hip
I taste the sweet light on my fingertip.
.......[link]

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1202500237&start=5#5   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Re: Alastair Ross Goobey  (Dec. 1945-Feb. 2008)
« Reply #6: 11.03.08 at 06:56 »

The Guardian Obituary. Tuesday March 11 2008.

Kevin Cryan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1202500237&start=6#6   copy 
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.