Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 28.03.24 at 08:17 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Clive on the recent Australian elections. »
   Midnight Voices
   Not Pete Atkin
   Off-topic
(Moderator: S J Birkill)
   Clive on the recent Australian elections.
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Clive on the recent Australian elections.  (Read 1790 times)
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Clive on the recent Australian elections.
« : 24.12.07 at 17:00 »

Generally, I'd steer well clear of politics and political discussion, but for once I make an exception, The reason is that Clive has a very good essay in the December the 2nd edition of The Australian in which he argues that John Howard lost in the recent Australian election “not because he stayed too long in Iraq but because he stayed too long in office" and that his opponent, Kevin Rudd, was “clever enough to spot that no other issue really mattered except the incumbent's hubristic estimation of his own indispensability”

As always with Clive, you really don’t have to know much about the minutiae of Australian politics to follow the general drift of the argument, or to see how some of the things he says, while obviously intended, in the first instance, for his Australian readership, are far less parocial in their implications than their appearance in The Australian would suggest .  

I can see this essay appearing in, say, the Home Thoughts from Abroad section of some future James collection, and even though the events it deals with will by then have faded from memory, I shouldn’t think the essay itself will have become so irrelevant that a strong case can't be made for its inclusion.

Kevin Cryan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1198515653&start=0#0   copy 
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.