Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 28.03.24 at 15:01 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Naomi Hyamson plays two shows »
   Midnight Voices
   Not Pete Atkin
   Off-topic
(Moderator: S J Birkill)
   Naomi Hyamson plays two shows
Pages: 1 2   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Naomi Hyamson plays two shows  (Read 13426 times)
Secret Drinker
MV Fixture

Paul Gunningham, MoM

Re: Naomi Hyamson plays two shows
« Reply #20: 14.09.05 at 14:56 »

on 08.09.05 at 23:32, naomi wrote:

What will interest Midnight Voices is that our ICA gig is to include that gem from the Atkin/James songbook, "An Empty Table". Clive has very kindly made a small change to  his lyrics to enable me to sing the song (otherwise the first-person in the song is male) - and I am of course immensely grateful to both Pete and Clive for this.

My guess is that the lines to be changed are:

"And you leaned back in laughter
With your lovely shoulders bare"

I thought it would be an interesting MV challenge to guess what they will be changed to (Naomi, and of course Pete and Clive, will not be eligible to guess!) Any suggestions, serious or otherwise?

The only other line I could see that might need changing is the one with the reference to "solitary men". Bit more tricky, that one, as it rhymes with "then" in the next line...  Huh

Anyway, to get the ball rolling, how about:

And overturned your chair"

Hmm... maybe not  Grin

Naomi, I hope it goes well. Sadly we won't be able to attend this time  Sad

Cheers

Paul

Still keeping a lowish profile in Herts
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1106165313&start=20#20   copy 

Staving off the pressure... by drinking real ale
Andy Love
MV Feature

« Reply #21: 21.09.05 at 00:33 »

on 14.09.05 at 14:56, Secret Drinker wrote:

My guess is that the lines to be changed are:

With your lovely shoulders bare"

... how about: ...

And overturned your chair"

A good try, Mr. Drinker !

I pitched up at the ICA on Saturday to witness this historic event, held in a gallery bar.  

Was a bit confused because not much more than 45 minutes earlier I'd been at home chucking the last of my morning pint of coffee down my gullet. Increasingly I find it difficult to get the hang of mornings and an industrial hit of caffeine often fast-forwards me sufficiently to synchronise with everyone else.  But not Saturday.

It was one of those journeys where every leg seemed to have been pre-set: the fastest train available (one of Mr. Branson's) was waiting at the platform for me and, just as soon as I had stepped on, it started rolling; ditto the tube; a short walk under Admiralty Arch and there, very suddenly, I was.  

I tried my best to explain to the guy at the front desk why I was there : for some reason the title of the event had completely escaped me.  In desperation I mumbled something about having had an e-mail from one of the performers and that appeared to work. I was whisked through the barrier and upstairs to the bar. There were about twenty-five people there at any one time with lots of comings and goings. It was a bit of a noisy venue for what was essentially a spoken word event : outside traffic (sadly no sirens, Sean!) ; people ordering and receiving food and drinks ; an absurdly badly-behaved coffee machine that went Ssshhhoooooooshhhh every few minutes ; and the buzz of conversation from the cafe area below the gallery. Nevertheless...

In the first half of the surrounding show - which was entirely London-centric: three novellists and/or poets gave entertaining accounts of what London meant to them; a documentary-maker posed thought-provoking questions about the benefits of the Olympics to a city; a cabbie with a huge talent for engaging an audience had a rant about bollards and other unnecessarily-expensive street furniture; and an actress called Hattie did something perfectly unintelligible.  

There was a slight pause then while Jenny Gould set up her keyboard and Naomi distributed copies of a commentary (very like the PoD one) to accompany her songs.  Also during this interval I had the honour of being joined by none other than SJB, pausing briefly between Korea and Canada and in good form.  I had to nip out for a quick aconsitutional but was rather nonplussed to be told that I had to pay  £1.50 to get back in. This was particularly galling because Steve was guarding my that-much-worth of beer (half-a-pint, bloody criminal etc.) upstairs.  After all my protestations were resolutely rebuffed, I again tried mumbling 'e-mail...performer' and, whaddya know?  Perhaps we could have a competition to see how many places we can blag ourselves into by claiming receipt of an e-mail from an unspecified person?  

Midvodian NH sang six songs in a rather stunning jacket and was received very well indeed. Some of her lowest notes tended to be drowned out in the general hubbub, though.  The sixth song was 'Empty Table'.  Jenny had got her part exactly right - did she have a score from PA (and, if so, can I have a copy?!) - and Naomi was as commanding as we now know her to be, working the song really well.  

And suddenly it was over and done. I didn't stay for the second part of proceedings, opting for a (very) quick stroll round bits of the National Gallery and a walk up to Camden Town via Foyles and the Tottenham Court Road gadget shops. Refuelled in Camden and then back on the train - in which I sat next to somebody vaguely famous.  

So Mr. Drinker, Sir : do you have any further questions, perchance?  Wink

Best to all

Andy
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1106165313&start=21#21   copy 
Avner Greenberg
MV Feature

« Reply #22: 23.09.05 at 21:24 »

Andy, I'm sure that Mr. Drinker would really love to know how Empty Table was regendered. Hopefully nothing too irreverent ending in "hair".
I envy you that 40 minute commute to the ICA!

Avner
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1106165313&start=22#22   copy 

Avner Greenberg
Leslie Moss
MV Fixture

Marmite Soldier

« Reply #23: 27.09.05 at 15:53 »

Most sorry that I missed this gig. I was at that time otherwise occupied at the London School of Economics at a revision day for my OU Physics degree (at my time of life this is called masochism!). But knowing Naomi's previous gigs I'm sure that Andy would not have been the only memer of the audience who was wowed.

Naomi, can you post the revised words of Empty Table for us saddos please.

Leslie
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1106165313&start=23#23   copy 
naomi
MV Fixture

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #24: 29.09.05 at 12:29 »

OK, folks. Although I thought I might stroppily reply: "No, you'll have to come along to the song's next performance if you want to know the revised words!!" I concluded that this was possibly not the best way to win friends and influence people.  

The "re-gendered" line in "An Empty Table" is:

"And you leaned back in laughter looking far too cool to care"

I think it's great.

Naomi

PS: Many thanks to Andy for that kind review of the ICA gig and to Leslie for his "apologies-for-absence"
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1106165313&start=24#24   copy 
Avner Greenberg
MV Feature

« Reply #25: 29.09.05 at 22:12 »

"And you leaned back in laughter looking far too cool to care"  

Thanks Naomi for going public with this. I agree, it fits in very well, alluding to future developments, or perhaps it's just hindsight?  

And may I suggest that you publicly announce, prior to your next performance, that you will be wearing the "rather stunning jacket" sighted by Andy L? That should entice a few more MVs from their children and wives (and Leslie from his physics).  

Best wishes.

Avner

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1106165313&start=25#25   copy 

Avner Greenberg
naomi
MV Fixture

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #26: 17.05.06 at 22:43 »

Here's something to cheer you downhearted Arsenal fans !

Actually, it has nothing to do with the Arsenal: I just wanted to get your attention.

I'm shortly to give a free song-recital (yes, free) in London with the wonderful pianist Stephen Rose, whom many of you saw accompany me in my set at PoD in 2004.

No Atkin/James songs this time, I'm afraid, but I hope Midvodians, with their love of words and of words-in-music, will be interested: to celebrate the work of Heinrich Heine, who died 150 years ago this year, and of Bertolt Brecht, who died 50 years ago, we have put together a programme of settings of said writers by composers such as Schubert, Schumann, Liszt, Weill and Eisler. The title of the programme - reflecting the long exile of both men from their German homeland - is "Landscape of Exile". It's taken from Brecht's poem of that name, set by Eisler as part of his "Hollywood Songbook".

I'm hugely grateful to have been invited to give this recital at the Goethe Institute, the German cultural centre, which is indeed presenting a number of events as part of Exhibition Road Music Day - Wednesday June 21. This is itself part of an international music festival, and several other organisations in the Exhibition Road area (South Kensington) are also taking part. So if you come along to our gig, you should find other events to interest you too. We are on at 4.15pm (till about 5pm), and the address of the Goethe Institute is 50 Princes Gate, South Kensington, SW7. No need to book...

Craving your indulgence of this free plug, Mr Birkill ... !!  

I hope some MVs might be able to get there - although I of course realise that most people have to work in the afternoon !

Best wishes,
Naomi

PS: To avoid any confusion - yes, there is one show at the institute; this "two shows" thread was set up ages ago in reference to something else ...

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1106165313&start=26#26   copy 
naomi
MV Fixture

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #27: 09.06.06 at 19:58 »

As MVs appear to be in a state of pre-World Cup suspended animation, may I take this opportunity to say that details of a free London music festival on Wednesday June 21, called Exhibition Road Music Day, now appear on the website of that name?

Several organisations in South Kensington are taking part, including the Goethe-Institut (the German cultural centre) -where, at 4.15pm (not 5pm as the website currently says), the pianist Stephen Rose and I will be giving our song recital. Entitled Landscape of Exile, it is an exploration of the work and worlds of Heinrich Heine, who died 150 years ago this year, and of Bertolt Brecht, who died 50 years ago this year.

Exhibition Road Music Day offers a wonderful array of events - all free, as I say.

And, NB, there's no England match that day !

Thanks - now get back to pontificating about Mr Rooney ...

Naomi

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1106165313&start=27#27   copy 
naomi
MV Fixture

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #28: 21.09.06 at 20:37 »

I'd just like to mention that next Tuesday September 26, at 1pm,  I am again giving my Landscape of Exile song recital - an exploration of the work and worlds of Heinrich Heine, who died 150 years ago this year, and of Bertolt Brecht, who died 50 years ago.  

The pianist Jenny Gould and I will be performing settings of the words of these two German writers made by composers ranging from Franz Schubert to Dominic Muldowney.

The venue is the Recital Room at the London adult educational institute the City Lit, which is in Keeley St, WC2. The nearest Tube is Holborn. Oh yes, I nearly forgot: it's free !

Should any Midvodians be in the area on Tuesday, I hope this concert might be of interest. There's no advance booking.

Best wishes,
Naomi

PS: I'm hoping to arrange further performances of Landscape of Exile - will keep you posted
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1106165313&start=28#28   copy 
Pages: 1 2    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.