Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 28.03.24 at 16:38 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Just performed a tribute to CJ&PA »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Members
(Moderator: S J Birkill)
   Just performed a tribute to CJ&PA
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Just performed a tribute to CJ&PA  (Read 2031 times)
Jaikman
MV Fresher

I love Midnight Voices!

Just performed a tribute to CJ&PA
« : 21.10.19 at 19:02 »

Greetings to all.  

I am a recent member and have joined specifically to share that I have recently fulfilled a (very) long felt want, having, finally screwed up the courage to perform a CJ & PA number live at our local folk club!

I first encountered the jolly troubadours on the 'Live Libel' tour of whenever it was, having already worn out the vinyl. It was around the time I picked up my first guitar. Anyhoo, a lifetime later, with more time on my hands than even a student, but not a lot better on the guitar, I determined to, at least once, perform one of their canon in front of a live audience.

Errant Knight being well beyond my now arthritic fingers and having never been within them anyway, I plumped for another simpler favourite and set myself to learning all five chords of Stranger in Town, which is two chords more than most of my repertoire and no fingerpicking necessary.  

After months of practice.....I was ready.

Emboldened by having seen Clive, clearly uncomfortable with the job but screwing up his courage and belting out a rock 'n roll number some 40 plus years ago (he was even wearing black leather trousers, if my eyesight and memory are correct?) I figured this wasn't going to kill me and I was unlikely to get a good kicking from the club members, as most of them are even older than I am.

I introduced the song as being by one of our finest lyricists (and possibly our greatest living poet) and composed and arranged by his great friend and superb musician....

I didn't forget any of the words or chords and got to belt out one of my favourite lyrics ....'From Kansas to Wyoming from Contention to Cheyenne.....' so sibilantly euphonious it slipped out a treat.

It was greeted by what might be described as slightly stunned polite applause. I'd always seen it as a dry, ironic, comedy song but the general consensus was that it's incredibly sad. I guess it is now, listening to it from the other end of the ear trumpet.

Thank you Clive and Pete for all the brilliant words and music. I've set myself the goal of a 'work around' version of Errant Knight before the year is out.

Wish me luck.

And thanks again.

John
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=members&action=display&num=1571680925&start=0#0   copy 
S J Birkill
MV Administrator

just a sensible reserve

Re: Just performed a tribute to CJ&PA
« Reply #1: 21.10.19 at 23:55 »

Events familiar to most of us who've attempted to play Pete's songs, either to ourselves or to a confused audience, I'm sure. Now, wouldn't we all just love to see a video of you performing this? Come on John, we know you're dying to do it!

Of course, for 'Errant Knight' you'll need the costume, and props...  - View this on YouTube - Steve
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=members&action=display&num=1571680925&start=1#1   copy 

Stephen J Birkill
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.