Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 28.03.24 at 21:11 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Cilve interview in WSJ »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Words
(Moderator: Mike Walters)
   Cilve interview in WSJ
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Cilve interview in WSJ  (Read 2286 times)
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Cilve interview in WSJ
« : 25.02.16 at 12:10 »

The Wall Street Journal

Writer Clive James on a Boy’s Life in Post-War Australia

The memoirist recalls drawing on bedroom walls and escaping through books

Clive James in the garden of his home in Cambridge, England, in 2015. PHOTO: ALICIA CANTER/THE GUARDIAN

Feb. 24, 2016 12:26 p.m. ET

Clive James, 76, is an Australian critic and author of 40 books, including “Unreliable Memoirs” and “Cultural Amnesia.” His latest book, “Sentenced to Life” (Liveright), is a collection of his poems. He spoke with Marc Myers.

Quote:
I never knew my father. During World War II, he went off to fight for Australia and wound up a prisoner in Japan. When he was freed in 1945, the Americans kindly offered to fly liberated Australian prisoners home on B-24s so they wouldn’t have to wait for a ship. My father’s plane was caught in a typhoon and crashed in Taiwan, killing everyone on board.

The only photo I have of my father and me is one with him cradling me as a baby in his arms. Naturally, my mother was devastated, but she brought me up not to blame anybody—not the Americans or the Japanese—and I never did.  

I witnessed my mother’s sadness for years, but couldn’t do much about it. I was an only child and the man of the house, and yet I was helpless. The experience did teach me that chance governs life.

read on

Kevin Cryan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Words&action=display&num=1456402200&start=0#0   copy 
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.