Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUMRSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 22.10.17 at 14:55 UK
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices Buckminster Fuller wears three
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Words
(Moderator: Mike Walters)
   Buckminster Fuller wears three
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Buckminster Fuller wears three  (Read 3512 times)
dr_john
MV Feature

You've gotta help me, doc...

Buckminster Fuller wears three
« : 28.04.10 at 17:15 »

I was listening to  'Great Lives' on R4 yesterday afternoon (Tues 27th, repeated Fri 30th 11pm) in which  John Lloyd was nominating  Buckminster Fuller for Great Life status. I was therefore humming TWFAD to myself when Matthew Parris, with appropriately perfect timing, casually announced that BF used to wear three wristwatches.
Coincidence?  
(Probably.)
IP logged
Rob Spence
MV Fixture

Hypertension Kid

Re: Buckminster Fuller wears three
« Reply #1: 28.04.10 at 22:14 »

I had exactly the same thought. BF didn't wear one around his knee, however...
IP logged
Ian Ashleigh
MV Fixture

Carnations on the Roof

« Reply #2: 30.04.10 at 20:18 »

From Wikipedia  

Fuller was a frequent flier, often crossing time zones. He famously wore three watches; one for the current zone, one for the zone he had departed, and one for the zone he was going to.[23][24] Fuller also noted that a single sheet of newsprint, inserted over a shirt and under a suit jacket, provided completely effective heat insulation during long flights.

here is the link to the full entry - no mention of our heroes' song though http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminster_Fuller
IP logged

Though he had no great gifts of personality or mind, he was quite well respected.
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #3: 01.05.10 at 11:53 »

on 30.04.10 at 20:18, Ian Ashleigh wrote:
From Wikipedia  

Fuller was a frequent flier, often crossing time zones. He famously wore three watches; one for the current zone, one for the zone he had departed, and one for the zone he was going to.[23][24] Fuller also noted that a single sheet of newsprint, inserted over a shirt and under a suit jacket, provided completely effective heat insulation during long flights.

here is the link to the full entry - no mention of our heroes' song though http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminster_Fuller

Buckminster Fuller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia  

From section 4  

Quirks
Quote:

...... he was going to.[23][24]....

Those of us who want Wikipedia to be taken more seriously than it is at present like to draw attention to citations and footnotes.  

Kevin Cryan

IP logged
andyw
MV Friend

Here's lurkin' .......

Andy+Wilson   Andy+Wilson

« Reply #4: 01.05.10 at 16:03 »

Sorted!  - see new reference and footnote 25 in [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminster_Fuller] if it survives.
IP logged
Rob Spence
MV Fixture

Hypertension Kid

« Reply #5: 02.05.10 at 09:45 »

The PA/CJ reference survives. I'm just wondering when the Buddy Rich rebuttal team will swing into action, to squash the vile canard that he was an ostentatious three-watch guy.
IP logged
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.