Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 29.03.24 at 15:37 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Flowers and the Wine »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Words
(Moderator: Mike Walters)
   Flowers and the Wine
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Flowers and the Wine  (Read 2559 times)
Ian Chippett
MV Fellow

In the clear at over fifty-five

Flowers and the Wine
« : 25.04.05 at 14:27 »

I just realised that there's a slight blemish in the lyric of this song. In the first verse, Clive rhymes "night" and "light" when the rhyme should be with "him". I can't think of other similar mistakes in Clive's output except in "Faded Mansion" (subsequently corrected). Bit difficult to find a good rhyme with "him", though. "Jim?" Perhaps we could have a competition to find the best solution?

Ian C
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Words&action=display&num=1114435633&start=0#0   copy 
Mike Walters
MV Moderator

Re: Flowers and the Wine
« Reply #1: 26.04.05 at 12:45 »

Must admit I'd never spotted this before.  Giving CJ the benefit of the doubt, it seems a little odd that he should have allowed this to slip through accidently, given how scrupulous he generally is...it's not as if this is one of his more challenging rhyme schemes (though I agree it's not easy to rhyme with 'him' ....'I've been out on a limb', 'The ending's pretty grim' - maybe not - but he could have amended the first line instead).  I wonder if it's too far fetched to ask whether the disruption of the rhyme scheme is intended to evoke a sense of something not quite fitting in?  (Though I acknowledge that this would be pretty subtle, given that I hadn't noticed it in 30+ years of listening to the song...)

Incidentally, at the risk of raising a controversial name in these parts, the late Warren Zevon was a master at using the name 'Jim' to complete a rhyme - notably in 'Werewolves of London' ('Stay away from him/ He'll rip your lungs out, Jim')  but also in 'Piano Fighter' and elsewhere.  This may, of course, simply confirm some prejudices...
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Words&action=display&num=1114435633&start=1#1   copy 
Robert Reid
MV Friend

« Reply #2: 26.04.05 at 22:35 »

Thanks for pointing this out. It strikes me that Clive has done this diliberately and it's very subtle. The lyric is so well put together it just ran over our heads.
The "him" of the song is obviously hated by the narrator who is eaten up with jealousy. "Farewell a friend" not "my friends".  
The lack of a rhyme here introduces the discomfort that the visitor has in facing the fact that the object of his infatuation is with another man "him".  It's more obvious when you read the lyric itself instead of listening to the song.
We know what the song is about, but now that you've pointed this out I see the visitor or narrator as slightly more threatening.

Robert
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Words&action=display&num=1114435633&start=2#2   copy 
Keith Busby
MV Fixture

« Reply #3: 27.04.05 at 19:21 »

I think the reason this has gone unnoticed is that "accented" rhyme, as it were, is that of lines 2 and 4. As for "farewell a friend," I've always read that as from the couple's point of view.

Keith
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Words&action=display&num=1114435633&start=3#3   copy 

Commit THAT to Your Fragrant Memory!
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.