Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 20.04.24 at 03:43 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Ornette Coleman »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Music
(Moderator: Ian Chippett)
   Ornette Coleman
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Ornette Coleman  (Read 2897 times)
Ian Chippett
MV Moderator

In the clear at over fifty-five

Ornette Coleman
« : 21.12.05 at 21:15 »

Being Moderator of the Music Section of MV is not all beer and skittles: checking out every musical reference means forking out vast sums of Euros. The complete Charlie Parker Boxed Set, Charlie Christian (thank God he died young: I got the complete collection for Xmas last year from a worried son) meant hours of listening, most of which was fruitful but all of which was tiring. However, I can now endorse Clive's recommendations (if indeed they were) of Ornette Coleman on "Wristwatch For A Drummer." I can recommend "Something Else!" which is no more freeform than Charlie Parker and "The Shape Of Jazz To Come" (slightly more demanding but still mainstream enough not to frighten the more courageous among us.)

However, for a real initiation into Free Jazz which will require the purchase of the Omega Incabloc Oyster Accutron 72 you'll need to get "Out To Lunch" by Eric Dolphy: it came out in (I think) 1964 but it's my Record of the Year for 2005: a real ear-opener.

OK now for Archie Shepp...

Ian C
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Music&action=display&num=1135199709&start=0#0   copy 
Pete Atkin
MV Deity

Re: Ornette Coleman
« Reply #1: 22.12.05 at 13:08 »

Ornette Coleman may not be to everyone's taste, although the avantgardeness of a lot of his 60s recordings seem much less alarming with the passage of time.  I remember being fascinated by Tomorrow is the Quest in the sixties -- I didn't quite get what was going on, but I new it was interesting, like a first taste of olives or capers.

But as a pretty painless introduction (and one with a huge side benefit) I'd recommend the CD 'Scar' by Joe Henry, where Coleman guests on the song 'Richard Pryor Address A Tearful Nation'.   Intriguing title or what?  And JH has many others.  And the songs don't disappoint, especially for anyone who enjoys, say, Tom Waits.   He creates endlessly interesting music textures, mostly using conventional instruments, horns and such, as well as some weird electric guitars.  He handsomely repays repeated listening.

While I'm here, I'm sorry not to have found the time to put out a pre-Christmas newsletter to wish everyone all and more (or less) of the usuals, but the dayjob has been intensive up to the last minute, plus I have a family funeral to add into the mix.  But that doesn't mean I don't wish you all (including those who won't read this in time) all of the good things.

So, just go and do it

Pete
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Music&action=display&num=1135199709&start=1#1   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Re: Ornette Coleman
« Reply #2: 22.12.05 at 21:24 »

I'm sure that I speak for the whole of our little community when I express my my most sincere condolences to Pete's family on the loss of one its members. You, Pete, and your family are in our thoughts at this difficult time.

Those who have read Pete's piece on Ornette Coleman's contribution to Joe Henry's Scar will get a fairly rough idea - RealPlayer reproduction is always pretty rough, isn't it?-  of what he's on about, and, indeed, Scar itself sounds like, by clicking here [link]. You'll not, as I've just said. be listening to it under ideal conditions, but they I think are good enough for you to be able to make your mind about whether of not what Henry does is to your taste.

By the way the title track seems to fade after five or so of its fourteen minutes. Stick with it: it actually comes back in again at about eight with it think some engaging results.

Kevin

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Music&action=display&num=1135199709&start=2#2   copy 
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.