Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM    RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 19.08.17 at 00:55 UK
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Harlow Museum 22nd October 2016 »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Gigs
(Moderator: Gerry Smith)
   Harlow Museum 22nd October 2016
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Harlow Museum 22nd October 2016  (Read 4786 times)
Seán Kelly
MV Fixture

Harlow Museum 22nd October 2016
« : 22.10.16 at 21:47 »

So here was a thing to gladden the heart – Pete playing live to a rapt audience – after all he has been through this year - and in damn fine form too!  Pete himself suggested it was such a low-key return to live performance that he would treat it as if he were playing to a group of friends, an impression only strengthened by the fact that we had gathered in the afternoon and were bolstered by a free drink and cake!  Pete played two sets without a microphone or amplification for his guitar and only a low-volume speaker needed for the keyboard so it was indeed a very intimate business.

He began with Master of the Revels which merged into Touch Has A Memory. Pete played a number of songs featured in Ian Shircore’s excellent book ‘Loose Cannon’ which was published just a week ago and the afternoon was in effect an informal launch for the book.  Ian was there manning a stall which also had Pete’s cds and apparently he sold every copy of the book that he brought along.  There were a fair few people queuing up to get both author and artist signatures on their copies.  

Back to the set-list, here is my rough memory of it, but I should say this is in the jumbled order of my recall not in the order played, sorry:

Master of the Revels > Touch Has A Memory
Canoe
Screenfreak
Search & Destroy
The King Is Dead
Senior Citizens - on piano
Beware of the Beautiful Stranger (a request)
The Way You Are With Me
Time To Burn
Session Man’s Blues
The Dancing Master
30 Year Man

Have I missed anything from this list?  Quite likely – sorry I didn’t take notes. There were considerably more piano songs than guitar ones due to the recovering broken wrist- but Pete was in great spirits and if anything got more into things in the second half when there were some breath-taking performances, notably a 30 Year Man with what I can only call gravitas - a remarkable end to the second set.

Many thanks to John who introduced Pete and had also organised the gig and of course to Pete for an excellent performance – as John said (I paraphrase) what a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon!   Smiley

« Last Edit: 22.10.16 at 21:57 by Seán Kelly » IP logged
Carole
MV Fixture

Re: Harlow Museum 22nd October 2016
« Reply #1: 23.10.16 at 07:40 »

Many thanks, Seán! A great review (and photo) for those of us who couldn't be there.  Smiley
IP logged
Ian Ashleigh
MV Fixture

Carnations on the Roof

« Reply #2: 23.10.16 at 08:42 »

Thanks Sean, I couldn't be there either but I'm looking forward to 5th November and seeing Pete at Pizza Express  
IP logged

Though he had no great gifts of personality or mind, he was quite well respected.
Mike Walters
MV Fixture

« Reply #3: 23.10.16 at 09:06 »

Great review of a great little performance, Sean. Pete also did Have You Got a Biro..? at some point early in the set but can't think of anything else you've omitted.
IP logged
Rob Spence
MV Fixture

Hypertension Kid

« Reply #4: 23.10.16 at 09:10 »

When they said intimate, they weren't lying, were they! Great to have this documented - thanks, Seán.
IP logged
Seán Kelly
MV Fixture

« Reply #5: 23.10.16 at 09:30 »

Thanks folks - consider yourselves all 'liked'  Smiley Thanks for adding Biro Mike and my memory is also insisting on Thief In The Night.  Sorry Janice, this is a backwards way to put together a setlist   Smiley
« Last Edit: 23.10.16 at 09:42 by Seán Kelly » IP logged
Pete Atkin
MV Deity

« Reply #6: 23.10.16 at 10:29 »

Huge thanks to everyone - to Sean, to Jon O'Connor for suggesting the gig and for organising it, and to all who came, some from quite a long way away.  It was an important one for me, of course, for both non-musical and musical reasons, and, as it turned out, it was a perfect setting for getting back on the tracks.

Just for confirmation, here are the setlists:

Master of the Revels (keyboard)
Touch has a memory (k)
Have you got a Biro? (guitar)
Canoe (k)
Dancing Master (k)
The King Is Dead/The Way To Be alive (k)
Beware of the Beautiful Stranger (g)
-----
The Way You Are With Me (k)
Search and Destroy (k)
Screen-freak (k)
Thief in the night (g)
Senior Citizens (k)
Time To Burn (k)
Sessionman's blues (k)
Thirty Year Man (k)
IP logged
Leslie Moss
MV Fixture

Marmite Soldier

« Reply #7: 23.10.16 at 10:59 »

Can't wait to hear you and Simon Wallace at The Pheasantry - I'll be accompanied by Gill. Welcome back!
IP logged
Jan
MV Fellow

« Reply #8: 24.10.16 at 14:36 »

Don't worry Sean. Sending in a dubious set list is a great way to get a reply from Pete on MV!
On one occasion I managed to get Pete to write down his set list for me. (OK, Yes I do still have it  Smiley ) It was the first performance of some of the songs from Winter Spring and my excuse was that I didn't know the titles. To my eternal discredit I still managed to type it up incorrectly online.
Jan
IP logged
Seán Kelly
MV Fixture

« Reply #9: 29.10.16 at 13:06 »

Smiley  Cheers Jan - and thanks for the proper setlist Pete!
IP logged
avner greenberg
MV Feature

« Reply #10: 01.11.16 at 22:42 »

Many thanks to you Seán for the review. So glad to see Pete looking in good form there. Seems the comeback's well on track.
IP logged

Avner Greenberg
ChrisH
MV Friend

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #11: 21.11.16 at 09:02 »

Many thanks for the report.
I was really annoyed that I couldn't make this gig. It was right on my doorstep but I was away for the whole weekend and couldn't re-arrange the date.
Good to hear that Pete was in such fine form.
Thanks again,
ChrisH
IP logged
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Members | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.