Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 29.03.24 at 10:13 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Clive The Guardian Hay Festival »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Gigs
(Moderator: Gerry Smith)
   Clive The Guardian Hay Festival
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Clive The Guardian Hay Festival  (Read 9100 times)
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Clive The Guardian Hay Festival
« : 01.04.07 at 13:45 »

Clive is listed in this year’s The Guardian Hay Festival (24 May to 3June) programme. If he is not a big enough attraction for you, then there are plenty of other attractions, not the least of which could be the chance of hearing John Major deliver a talk entitled More Than a Game: The Story of Cricket’s Early Years, or seeing Kathy Lette and John Mortimer get together to give a talk under the heading Murder- a beginner’s guide.

Kevin Cryan

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1175431529&start=0#0   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Re: Clive The Guardian Hay Festival
« Reply #1: 20.05.07 at 16:58 »

Clive's talk about Cultural Amnesia on Monday the 28th of May at the Guardian Hay on Wye Festival is sold out.  

A little later on that same day, event 157 may be of interest:

Event 157 at 16:00

An Afternoon with Gerard Depardieu’s Next Wife

Featuring: Antonia Quirke  

Mike Figgis has been cancelled and has now been replaced by Antonia Quirke
< An unmissable cinematic event. Using clips of actors in films - from River Phoenix to Buster Keaton - to illustrate just why she is "the dizzyingly funny real-life incarnation of Mia Farrow in the Purple Rose of Cairo" (Sunday Times) Antonia Quirke reads from Madame Depardieu and the Beautiful Strangers, her acclaimed and kaleidoscopic memoir of men and movies.

Kevin Cryan

PS. The quote from Beware of the Beautiful Stranger Quirke uses is  "You live in a dream and the dream is a cage ...", just in case anybody's forgotten.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1175431529&start=1#1   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #2: 24.05.07 at 21:09 »

A little bit of Sky News history in the making.

Sky News’ Sunday Live with Adam Boulton programme will come live from The Guardian Hay Festival on Sunday May 27, and segments will be simulcast on TV and on Second Life* from 11am.  

Second Life residents or ‘avatars’ will be able to attend the special event in a virtual Hay festival area with Boulton taking questions for his guests Mariella Frostrup ,Clive James and Kathy Lette, live on-air.

Kevin Cryan

* Sky News is being launched on Second Life from Hay on that day.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1175431529&start=2#2   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #3: 29.05.07 at 09:25 »

Under the headline Going for a Burton , Claire Hill, writing for today's edition of the  Welsh newspaper, the  Western Mail, claims that   "CLIVE JAMES laid into Welsh actor Richard Burton" when speaking to a packed audience at the The Guardian Hay Festival yesterday.  

"While praising his talent on the stage, the broadcaster and journalist, right, said that the famous actor was too over the top to work on camera.

Speaking to a packed Hay Festival, and launching his book Cultural Amnesia, he won the audience over by assessing Burton’s performance in The Eagle Has Landed.

Initially mocking the actor’s quiff in the film, when he was supposed to be blending in with the Germans, he continued to deride Burton’s acting.

“He [Burton] always overdid it from the beginning to the end of his career on screen. He looked exactly like an actor projecting to the upper circle.”…………."

read on

Kevin Cryan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1175431529&start=3#3   copy 
Murray McGlew
MV Feature

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #4: 29.05.07 at 11:56 »

"Where Eagles Dare" surely, or is my memory even worse than I thought? I admit that I enjoyed the film at the time, despite the poor picture and sound quality afforded by the Dalwallinu Drive-In and the poor seating comfort afforded by my old man's Morris 1100.

And who says Clint Eastwood couldn't have wiped out the German army single-handed if he'd had the chance?

One of the stunt men who did the fight scene on top of the cable car gets a favourable mention in "The North Face of Soho."
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1175431529&start=4#4   copy 
Pete Atkin
MV Deity

« Reply #5: 29.05.07 at 19:46 »

It's said that the several stars of Where Eagles Dare proposed that since their stuntmen spent more time on screen than they did themselves it should have been retitled Where Doubles Dare.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1175431529&start=5#5   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #6: 29.05.07 at 20:39 »

The Guardian has been podcasting from the Hay Festival.

May 29, 2007 11:27AM Printable version

Sarfraz Manzoor takes a look at what poetry is on offer at Hay. He talks to Sarah Crown about the Poetry Gala, which finds seven poets reading their work, then Gillian Clarke takes us on a tour of the Poetry Bookshop. She picks out her favourite works and talks about which poets have influenced her over the years. Alok Jha asks Richard Dawkins about whether clever people who believe in religion are deluded, and Clive James discusses our cultural amnesia.

Listen now on your computer (27:08)

Kevin Cryan

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1175431529&start=6#6   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #7: 23.12.07 at 19:56 »

on 20.05.07 at 16:58, Kevin Cryan wrote:
.... Monday the 28th of May at the Guardian Hay on Wye Festival........  

Event 157 at 16:00

An Afternoon with Gerard Depardieu’s Next Wife

Featuring: Antonia Quirke  

...... Antonia Quirke reads from Madame Depardieu and the Beautiful Strangers, her acclaimed and kaleidoscopic memoir of men and movies.

Kevin Cryan

PS. The quote from Beware of the Beautiful Stranger Quirke uses is  "You live in a dream and the dream is a cage ...", just in case anybody's forgotten.

I notice from yesterday's edition of The Guardian that despite some very good reviews Antonia Qurike's novel, Madame Depardieu and the Beautiful Strangers, (Harper Perennial, £7.99) has so far sold only 674 copies.  

Kevin Cryan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1175431529&start=7#7   copy 
Pete Atkin
MV Deity

Re: Antonia Quirke and the Beautiful Strangers
« Reply #8: 27.12.07 at 09:24 »

Blimey, that was a bit of a shock.    I confess that I came to 'Madame Depardieu and the Beautiful Strangers' almost entirely on the grounds of its use of... well, you know.  But however ignoble my route to it, my reaction on reading it was unreservedly joyful.   It's not in fact a novel, Kevin, but it does strongly recall Clive's Preface to 'Unreliable Memoirs': "Most first novels are disguised autobiographies.  This autobiography is a disguised novel."   And the comparison is not at all strained.  It is similarly entertaining, similarly self-deprecating (without the dubious phoniness of most showbiz self-deprecation), similarly deceptively effortless in the quality of its writing, and in addition it incorporates some of the most perceptive and revelatory comments about movie actors and movie acting you'll find anywhere at all.  Get yourself a copy and you'll be doing yourself a favour.

All of which makes its lack of sales success a bit baffling, specially since I've been responsible for 3 copies myself.  But then, maybe it's the old 'uncategorisable' thing...   And maybe the title didn't help.  Certainly the U.S. publishers appear to have thought so:  they changed it to 'Choking on Marlon Brando' (you'll have to read it to find out why), which IMHO didn't help at all.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1175431529&start=8#8   copy 
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.