Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 28.03.24 at 16:49 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « The Lowry »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Gigs
(Moderator: Gerry Smith)
   The Lowry
Pages: 1   Start of Thread | Latest Post Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: The Lowry  (Read 2901 times)
Mike Walters
MV Fixture

The Lowry
« : 11.10.05 at 18:04 »

Since no-one else has yet, can I just say how much I enjoyed P&C at The Lowry on Sunday.   Although (of course) I enjoyed the previous tours, they felt to me a little like Clive James readings with Pete providing musical interludes, whereas this seemed much more like a genuine joint performance - possibly because Clive focused a lot on his poetry so that the bulk of the show was a balanced showcase of his lyrical gifts in their two complementary forms.  I hope it's the opposite of a spoiler to mention the two new songs, which I liked a lot on first hearing, especially 'Here We Stay' which, as well as to my ears echoing Auden's 'Roman Wall Blues' (lyrically, that is - I've never heard Auden sing it), also sounded dangerously close to anthemic.  I was almost tempted to get out the cigarette lighter.  

Mike
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1129050279&start=0#0   copy 
briannoggin
MV Fresher

I love Midnight Voices!

Re: The Lowry
« Reply #1: 11.10.05 at 18:45 »

It was a fantastic night, and I can't remember the last time I laughed til I cried. Clive remarked on surrealism. For me the sureal note was struck by the person behind me. I thought throughout the first half he was rattling sweet papers, but found at the interval it was the tinfoil in which he had wrapped his hot cross buns - in October! Shocked
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1129050279&start=1#1   copy 
Ian Sorensen
MV Feature

A King at Sunrise

Re: The Lowry
« Reply #2: 11.10.05 at 23:33 »

I agree with Mike - it was a great night. P & C worked so well together - almost like a long-married couple who were genuinely happy to sit and listen to each other do their party pieces, even though they had heard them many times. Their cross-talk was delightful - I particularly enjoyed Clive's endless ad-lib interjections as Pete tried to start a song.

Pete's voice was the best I remember it - very expressive, selling the lyrics superbly. Even Clive's singing was better than before. (I always have to laugh that Pete counts Clive in - how can a tango dancer not be able to spot the beats in a song?)  

If I'd known in advance that Clive was going to be mostly reading his poetry I might have been a bit apprehensive, but his selection was spot on. Joy and tenderness in equal part. (I still enjoyed the essay giving his take on the Bush v Kerry election best.)

The Lowry theatre was a very nice venue, and the audience was as receptive as any outside a Midnight Voices event. BTW the cinema beside the Lowry calls itself "The Cinema of Dreams".

I enjoyed the brief catch up with the other Voices there, despite some of them suffering the after effects of the previous night's cheese & wine party - sans cheese.  

All in all, well worth the three hour drive home.

Ian Sorensen
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=App&action=display&num=1129050279&start=2#2   copy 
Pages: 1    Start of Thread | Latest Post Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.