Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 29.03.24 at 10:04 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « MV gigs - post here »
   Midnight Voices
   Not Pete Atkin
   Off-topic
(Moderator: S J Birkill)
   MV gigs - post here
Pages: 1 2 3   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: MV gigs - post here  (Read 41497 times)
Seán Kelly
MV Fixture

Re: MV gigs - post here
« Reply #20: 17.03.07 at 22:08 »

Lovely Picture Paul - I notice yours is the only one to get a frame - a bit classy Wink
Seán
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1168421378&start=20#20   copy 
Secret Drinker
MV Fixture

Paul Gunningham, MoM

« Reply #21: 20.03.07 at 13:20 »

on 17.03.07 at 22:08, Seán Kelly wrote:
Lovely Picture Paul - I notice yours is the only one to get a frame - a bit classy Wink
Seán

Thanks Seán - I don't know why the frame either. I was just pleased to see the photo there.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1168421378&start=21#21   copy 

Staving off the pressure... by drinking real ale
naomi
MV Fixture

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #22: 26.04.07 at 12:20 »

I'm very hesitant about publicising my next gig here - because it's on Thursday June 21, when of course the main event for MVs is in Bristol !!  
Having said that, Londoners heading for Pete's gig in the evening but still in the capital in the afternoon should be able to Tube it round to Paddington in time for a train that will get them there in time once my gig is over (or you could nip out of my gig early to be on the safe side - I shan't object !).

So here goes:

The song recital, part of Exhibition Road Music Day - a free music festival,   takes place in the library of the Goethe-Institut, 50 Princes Gate, Exhibition Road, South Kensington SW7 (nearest Tube - South Kensington) at 4pm; ends at 4.45pm.

My pianist will be the superb Stephen Rose, whom those of you at PoD04 will have heard as my accompanist.

In the concert, entitled "Was für ein Lied ?... ", Stephen and I explore how, in different ways - Hugo Wolf as a miniaturist, Gustav Mahler as a symphonist, these two Vienna contemporaries developed the German Lied to new levels of intense personal expression, under the influence particularly of Richard Wagner and Robert Schumann.  

The concert's title, which translates as "What sort of song? ..." is taken from a piece that is central to Wolf's Italienisches Liederbuch ("Italian Songbook") - Was für ein Lied soll dir gesungen werden? ("What sort of song should be sung to you ?")  

There's more on the Goethe-Institut's website, under the Arts section - then go to "Exhibition Road Music Day 2007" and "Classical Music in the Library".

Thanks !
Naomi H

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1168421378&start=22#22   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #23: 04.06.07 at 20:58 »

on 26.04.07 at 12:20, naomi wrote:
I'm very hesitant about publicising my next gig here - because it's on Thursday June 21, when of course the main event for MVs is in Bristol !!  
Having said that, Londoners heading for Pete's gig in the evening but still in the capital in the afternoon should be able to Tube it round to Paddington in time for a train that will get them there in time once my gig is over (or you could nip out of my gig early to be on the safe side - I shan't object !).

So here goes:

The song recital, part of Exhibition Road Music Day - a free music festival,   takes place in the library of the Goethe-Institut, 50 Princes Gate, Exhibition Road, South Kensington SW7 (nearest Tube - South Kensington) at 4pm; ends at 4.45pm.

My pianist will be the superb Stephen Rose, whom those of you at PoD04 will have heard as my accompanist.

In the concert, entitled "Was für ein Lied ?... ", Stephen and I explore how, in different ways - Hugo Wolf as a miniaturist, Gustav Mahler as a symphonist, these two Vienna contemporaries developed the German Lied to new levels of intense personal expression, under the influence particularly of Richard Wagner and Robert Schumann.  

The concert's title, which translates as "What sort of song? ..." is taken from a piece that is central to Wolf's Italienisches Liederbuch ("Italian Songbook") - Was für ein Lied soll dir gesungen werden? ("What sort of song should be sung to you ?")  

There's more on the Goethe-Institut's website, under the Arts section - then go to "Exhibition Road Music Day 2007" and "Classical Music in the Library".

Thanks !
Naomi H

As someone who regrettably, and for reasons connected with the business I'm in, cannot attend either, I thought the best I could do was remind MVs that  both events are still on.  
___________________________________________________________________________________
Exhibition Road Music Day - a free music festival, takes place in the library of the Goethe-Institut, 50 Princes Gate, Exhibition Road, South Kensington SW7 (nearest Tube - South Kensington) on the 21st June 2007.  

Classical music in the library  

Music Festival
4pm-9.30pm
Goethe-Institut London Library

-------------------------------------
|4.00-4.45pm      | Classical  |
--------------------------
Naomi Hyamson  
Was für ein Lied ?... A song recital  
The composers Gustav Mahler and Hugo Wolf are the focus of a song recital by the mezzo Naomi Hyamson and pianist Stephen Rose - who at last year's Music Day celebrated works of Heine and Brecht. This year Naomi and Stephen explore how, in different ways - Wolf as a  
miniaturist, Mahler as a symphonist developed the German Lied to new levels of intense personal expression.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

I wish I could be at either, or preferably both, but I'm afraid that, as I said,  other, more pressing duties call on the 21st.  

Have a great time!!! I know you will. You always do!!!

Kevin Cryan.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1168421378&start=23#23   copy 
naomi
MV Fixture

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #24: 05.06.07 at 20:58 »

That's extremely kind of you, Kevin !

I know that all MVs who are able to do so will be off to Bristol on June 21 to enjoy Pete's gig - and no doubt to share fond memories of Paul, after his tragic loss.

But it would be great to see anyone who's unable to get to Bristol (and anyone prepared to dash round to Paddington to get the train from London after my gig) at the Goethe-Institut in South Kensington for the recital of Wolf and Mahler songs at 4pm.

I don't want to get ahead of myself - but it's probably best to turn up fairly pronto as when we performed there last year the (admittedly small) room was packed.

Exhibition Road Music Day also includes a fantastic array of other musical events - many of them at the institute. And it's all free.

Thanks again, Kevin, and best to all,
Naomi
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1168421378&start=24#24   copy 
naomi
MV Fixture

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #25: 05.06.07 at 23:04 »

PS: the brochure of events (all free) for Exhibition Road Music Day is now available online: www.exhibitionroadmusicday.org

Naomi

[URL corrected by SJB at Naomi's request]
« Last Edit: 06.06.07 at 00:19 by S J Birkill »     https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1168421378&start=25#25   copy 
George Papavgeris
MV Friend

everyone a hero

« Reply #26: 06.06.07 at 16:48 »

Ah, what the hey, I might as well join the brass band by blowing my own horn.  Upcoming gigs of yours truly, then:

10 June 3pm: Alison Arms Folk Festival, Coppul, Lancs  
10 June 8pm: Open Door Folk Club, Manchester  
11 June: Bacup Folk Club, Bacup, Lancs  
12 June: Maghull Folk Club  
15-17 June: Alcester & Arden Folk Festival  
22 June 6-8pm: Avoncroft Buildings Museum Folk Day  
24 June 8pm: St Albans Festival, Trestle Arts Centre  
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1168421378&start=26#26   copy 

George P
Ian Chippett
MV Fellow

In the clear at over fifty-five

« Reply #27: 15.06.07 at 16:51 »

Your Musical Moderator will be playing a mercifully brief solo set as well as a slightly longer one with his late band The Safe Sextet who had the good sense to sack him (i.e. last year.) This will be an outdoor gig in the singer's garden in Montreuil just outside Paris and as ever the neighbours are praying for rain. I realise it's a bit late for any Voices who are based in the States or Australia and would like to fly in but for any Parisian-based Voices whose private lives are so sad that any form of entertainment is welcome, come along to Rue Camélimat around 17.00 with a bottle of something serious.

Doing another one on the 30th with a jazz group whom I've never actually met let alone rehearsed with. Attendance at this is free but will involve swimming across the Seine to attend unless I give you a pass.  

Click here to see what happened the first time we played there. You have been warned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLU-LQ1qp2g

Ian C
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1168421378&start=27#27   copy 
Colin Boag
MV Feature

« Reply #28: 16.06.07 at 09:24 »

I'd imagine that you don't have too much trouble with groupies after that particular song?
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1168421378&start=28#28   copy 

Colin
Richard Bleksley
MV Fixture

My time has come to find a better way

« Reply #29: 16.06.07 at 10:00 »

Depends what you define as "trouble".....
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1168421378&start=29#29   copy 
naomi
MV Fixture

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #30: 18.06.07 at 13:54 »

The Wolf song from which my forthcoming recital Was für ein Lied?.. takes its name is such a moving statement of the wonder of songwriting that I thought I would reproduce the words here for MVs.  
(The English translation is taken from Lois Phillips's invaluable book Lieder line by line. The song is from the Italian Songbook - Wolf's settings of Paul Heyse's German translations of Italian poems):

What kind of song can I sing that is worthy of you ?
Wherever can I find it ?
I should most like to dig it from deep in the earth, as yet unsung by any creature;
a song that no man or woman ever heard or sung until today
- not even the very oldest.

To hear the extraordinarily touching music with which Wolf communicated those words, buy one of the many CDs available (pref one on which  Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau is the baritone !) ... or come along to the Goethe-Institut at 4pm on Thursday (if you're not already on your way to Bristol to hear Pete !!)  

Thanks,
Naomi

Modified by admin at request of Naomi.
« Last Edit: 18.06.07 at 15:01 by S J Birkill »     https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1168421378&start=30#30   copy 
Ian Chippett
MV Fellow

« Reply #31: 18.06.07 at 15:33 »

Colin wrote:

<<I'd imagine that you don't have too much trouble with groupies after that particular song?>>

It would be unwise to asume that an artist's work reflects his own personal preoccupations. After all, Clive can't play the piano but he shows great empathy with pianist in "Thirty Year Man"... Wink

Speaking of which I forgot to say that I plan to perform a PA song with the jazz quartet before who I will be performing the role of the young girl singer. With a bit of luck it will be recorded on video for posterity (or wherever else you might like to put it) and may even get on to You Tube if I can find someone who has the technical competence. I shan't reveal the song in question but I feel confident you'll recognise it even after I've finished with it.

Ian C

Singing so far and yet not quite far enough in Pantin France
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1168421378&start=31#31   copy 
Ian Chippett
MV Fellow

« Reply #32: 02.07.07 at 15:02 »

I wrote:

<<Speaking of which I forgot to say that I plan to perform a PA song with the jazz quartet before who I will be performing the role of the young girl singer. With a bit of luck it will be recorded on video for posterity (or wherever else you might like to put it) and may even get on to You Tube if I can find someone who has the technical competence. I shan't reveal the song in question but I feel confident you'll recognise it even after I've finished with it. >>

Well, the gig took place but was unrecorded so the world will never know (apart from the small part of it actually present) that the song was "Touch Has A Memory," a song that has always fascinated me for various reasons. The gig was an interesting experience from which I drew two slight but considerable lessons. The first one is that it's all very well being the headlining act but if it means you don't go on till 2.00 in the morning, you find that not only the audience has left but several members of the band who were supposed to be backing you have gone with them. The second lesson is never to appear after the refreshments have been served. Despite this I managed to perform THAM accompanied by a jazz pianist and his alto sax-playing brother (whom I did not out-play) and who were absolutely breathtakingly good despite being respectively a mere 22 and 19 years old and had never heard the song in question. There they were ripping through the choruses (it went on for quite a while) while I watched gobsmacked. We did it in 12/8 time with a few phrasing modifications and a coda which descended from C to Bb to Ab to finish (more or less simultaneously) on Gb.  

I said above that this song has always fascinated me: when I saw Pete do a folk club in Bristol back in the 70's he did this song as a third encore but at around the same time had left it off the re-released BoTBS album for "Be Careful..." So what did he really feel about it? Was it one of those songs that you can't not do but at the same time you can never do in just the way you want? I have heard a version where Pete just does it in 12/8 or 6/8 accompanied only by his guitar.

Ian C
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1168421378&start=32#32   copy 
naomi
MV Fixture

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #33: 17.07.07 at 23:31 »

I do hope that Russ will forgive me if I am wrong - but could the Russ Chandler who is taking part in an evening of words and music at Walthamstow Folk Club on Wednesday July 18 to raise funds for the campaign against cuts to the William Morris Gallery be the same Russ as our MV friend  ?
Either way, it's a very worthy cause - and the Walthamstow Kevin Sheils certainly is one of us !

Here is info sent out by Walthamstow Folk Club.
It's the same venue that Pete played to great acclaim earlier this year.

An evening of music, words and poetry for
William Morris Gallery and the Vestry House Museum

Fundraiser for antiscrap [artists against cuts] Wednesday 18 July

from 7.30pm at  
Walthamstow Folk Club
The Plough Inn 173 Wood Street Walthamstow E17

Featuring:
David and Margaret Brangwyn
Russ Chandler
John Eason
Christopher Hill
Roger Huddle
Ros Kane
Timothy Kraemer
Francine Loze
Alison McGillivray
Other Theresa
Jo Roach
Kevin Sheils

£5 concessions £3
  www.keepourmuseumsopen.org.uk

Prior commitments will probably prevent me getting to the July 18 event myself - but I've signed the online petition against the cuts !

Naomi

PS: Apologies to all and sundry if I have broken any MV Forum rules by backing a campaign. All opinions expressed herein are my own !
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1168421378&start=33#33   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

MV gigs - post here
« Reply #34: 19.03.08 at 20:53 »

on 04.06.07 at 20:58, Kevin Cryan wrote:

Exhibition Road Music Day - a free music festival, takes place in the library of the Goethe-Institut, 50 Princes Gate, Exhibition Road, South Kensington SW7 (nearest Tube - South Kensington) on the 21st June 2007.  

Classical music in the library  

Music Festival
4pm-9.30pm
Goethe-Institut London Library

Kevin Cryan.

Naomi Hyamson was there again on the 21st June 2007and she will be there on the 21st June 2008.  

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

4.00-4.45pm    

Naomi Hyamson (Classical)

Was für ein Lied ?... A song recital  
The composers Gustav Mahler and Hugo Wolf are the focus of a song recital by the mezzo Naomi Hyamson and pianist Stephen Rose - who at last year's Music Day celebrated works of Heine and Brecht. This year Naomi and Stephen explore how, in different ways - Wolf as a miniaturist, Mahler as a symphonist developed the German Lied to new levels of intense personal expression.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I should acknowledge that Rob Spence - yes, MV Rob - spotted the date before I did. Cheers, Rob.

Kevin Cryan

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1168421378&start=34#34   copy 
naomi
MV Fixture

I love Midnight Voices!

Re: MV gigs - post here - correction !
« Reply #35: 20.03.08 at 11:22 »

Very many thanks, gents - but I reckon that the listing for my Wolf and Mahler recital is from last year !!

I am hoping to be back at the Goethe-Institut for this year's Exhibition Road Music Day but at the time of writing nothing has been confirmed. Will let you know as soon as I have more info; am hoping to speak to them today.

Naomi

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1168421378&start=35#35   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Re: MV gigs - post here - correction !
« Reply #36: 20.03.08 at 12:17 »

on 20.03.08 at 11:22, naomi wrote:
Very many thanks, gents - but I reckon that the listing for my Wolf and Mahler recital is from last year !!

Naomi

If I'd examined the programme more carefully, I'd have realised that unlikely that a event which ended at midnight  would have a programme that ended some time earlier, and that there was indeed something rather odd about the event's use of logos that had 2007 on them.

Kevin Cryan
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1168421378&start=36#36   copy 
Rob Spence
MV Fixture

Hypertension Kid

« Reply #37: 20.03.08 at 12:29 »

Yes - it is last year's- I just wanted something to link to for Naomi in a blog post.
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1168421378&start=37#37   copy 
naomi
MV Fixture

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #38: 20.03.08 at 20:23 »

I am so grateful to Rob for taking the trouble to provide a link from his blog - and to Kevin for offering me a free plug (albeit for something that happened last year!). It was very kind of you both, and I do apologise for the slight confusion caused ...

The fault is mine: I should long ago have set up a website ... which Rob could have used as the link. Most people (at least, those who do not know what a dinosaur I am) react with open-mouthed incredulity to a semi-pro singer such as myself having - in 2008, forsooth - no music on the web and no website. This will be added to my "to-do" list.  Undecided

Incidentally, re Exhibition Road Music Day 2008: I am still hoping to be able to participate - and will post any details as and when I have them.  

All best wishes and grateful thanks, again,
Naomi
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1168421378&start=38#38   copy 
Rob Spence
MV Fixture

Hypertension Kid

« Reply #39: 20.03.08 at 21:35 »

on 20.03.08 at 20:23, naomi wrote:
IMost people (at least, those who do not know what a dinosaur I am) react with open-mouthed incredulity to a semi-pro singer such as myself having - in 2008, forsooth - no music on the web and no website. This will be added to my "to-do" list.  Undecided

Naomi - I'm sure we are all looking forward to seeing/ hearing you on myspace, or similar. Please move it to the top of your to-do list. I envisage  a show linking Entartete Musik with Cultural Amnesia...
    https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=offtopic&action=display&num=1168421378&start=39#39   copy 
Pages: 1 2 3    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.