Midnight Voices
THE PETE ATKIN WEB FORUM   RSS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
This page loaded: 29.03.24 at 11:54 UK time
PA
HOME
Pete Atkin home page
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices « Sentenced to Life by Clive James »
   Midnight Voices
   Pete Atkin
   Words
(Moderator: Mike Walters)
   Sentenced to Life by Clive James
Pages: 1 2   Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
   Author  Thread: Sentenced to Life by Clive James  (Read 31070 times)
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

Re: Sentenced to Life by Clive James
« Reply #20: 19.12.15 at 11:49 »

The Guardian

Friday 18 December 2015

Winners and losers: publishers pick the 2015 books they loved, missed and envied

Which books did well, which were left on the shelves, and which made editors green with envy?

Paul Baggaley
Publisher, Picador
Quote:

The book that made my year: It was gratifying to see two magnificent second novels make the Man Booker shortlist, and to see Jon Ronson confirm my personal terror of social media with his timely and hilarious So You’ve Been Publicly Shamed, but the publication that made my year was Clive James’s Sentenced to Life. The bestselling original poetry book of the year, it was recognised as containing some of Clive’s finest writing, with several poems going viral. It is a brave and searingly honest examination of his own mortality and the choices he has made in life. His next book – and probably a subject that only Clive could contemplate tackling in this way – is Gate of Lilacs, a verse commentary on Proust’s A La Recherche du Temps Perdu, out next April.

Kevin Cryan

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Words&action=display&num=1420279415&start=20#20   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #21: 19.12.15 at 15:35 »

on 19.12.15 at 11:49, Kevin Cryan wrote:
The Guardian

Friday 18 December 2015

Winners and losers: publishers pick the 2015 books they loved, missed and envied

Which books did well, which were left on the shelves, and which made editors green with envy?

Paul Baggaley
Publisher, Picador

Kevin Cryan

The Guardian has set up the links incorrectly. I have corrected them for this posting.

MISSING LINKS

Jon Ronson's  So You’ve Been Publicly Shamed

Clive James's Sentenced to Life

Kevin Cryan

PS

Link not included in The Guardian

Picador Spring Catalogue pdf, includes  GATE OF LILACS A Verse Commentary on Proust  & COLLECTED POEMS 1958 - 2015 by Clive James (Pub Date: 21/4/2016)
« Last Edit: 19.12.15 at 16:10 by Kevin Cryan »     https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Words&action=display&num=1420279415&start=21#21   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #22: 01.01.16 at 11:28 »

on 19.12.15 at 15:35, Kevin Cryan wrote:

The Guardian has set up the links incorrectly. I have corrected them for this posting.

MISSING LINKS

Jon Ronson's  So You’ve Been Publicly Shamed

Clive James's Sentenced to Life

Kevin Cryan

PS

Link not included in The Guardian

Picador Spring Catalogue pdf, includes  GATE OF LILACS A Verse Commentary on Proust  & COLLECTED POEMS 1958 - 2015 by Clive James (Pub Date: 21/4/2016)

Collected Poems

Gate of Lilacs

Kevin Cryan

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Words&action=display&num=1420279415&start=22#22   copy 
Kevin Cryan
MV Fellow

I love Midnight Voices!

« Reply #23: 18.01.16 at 21:03 »

New York Times

BOOKS
Review: Clive James, Writing Toward the Twilight

Books of The Times

By DWIGHT GARNER   JAN. 13, 2016  

Since 2010, when the brilliant Australian critic, poet and memoirist Clive James learned he had terminal leukemia, he’s had his afterburners flipped on. He has been on a vivifying late-career tear.

During this time he’s released six books: poems, essay collections, even a warm and approachable full-dress translation of Dante’s “Divine Comedy.” At 76, the polymathic Mr. James is burning out, not fading away.

There isn’t yet a perfect anthology of Mr. James’s best work, although compilations like “As of This Writing: The Essential Essays, 1968-2002” are very good. A true “Portable Clive” would be an essential book, panoramic in scope. It would include excerpts from his memoirs and a dense lot of his poems. It would contain a great deal of his intellectual journalism for publications in England, where he has lived most of his adult life: television criticism, travel writing and prose about obsessions like Formula One racing and the tango as well as pronouncements on literary subjects. I’m not alone in scanning the horizon for it.
His new volume of poems, “Sentenced to Life,” feels like the most important of his late books. It’s a harrowing collection, gravid with meaning, unflinching in its appraisal of the author’s mistakes, including infidelity, and plain-spoken in its reckoning with his life’s terminus.

Many of this book’s 37 poems feel built to last, including “Lecons de tenebres” — lessons of darkness — in which Mr. James seems to speak not merely for himself but for so many who have allowed career and ego to fizz too freely at the front in their minds. This poem includes these lines:

The mirror holds the ruins of my face
Roughly together, thus reminding me
I should have played it straight in every case,
Not just when forced to. Far too casually
I broke faith when it suited me, and here
I am alone, and now the end is near.
All my life I put my labour first.
I made my mark, but left no time between
The things achieved, so, at my heedless worst,
With no life, there was nothing I could mean.

read on

Kevin Cryan

https://peteatkin.com/forum?board=Words&action=display&num=1420279415&start=23#23   copy 
Pages: 1 2    Start of Thread | Latest Post Reply | Notify of replies | Send Thread | Print
Return to Top « Previous thread | Next thread »
MV Home | Short | Help | Search | Login | Register | Shop | PA Home
Midnight Voices is not responsible for comments made by its members. All opinions expressed are entirely those of their authors.
Midnight Voices » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.